• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble installing Flash Player 12

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just performed a “clean install” of Flash Player 12. The installer explicitly said I was installing version 12. And yet Flash Player 12 is nowhere to be found on my computer. Any Flash I try to run brings up Player 10. A spotlight search shows only version 10. I followed these instructions absolutely to the letter:

Download the appropriate uninstaller from the following page: Uninstall Flash Player | Mac

Close all browser windows, mount and run the uninstaller

Restart OS X

Delete all remaining files and folders locating in the following folders:

\Library\Internet Plug-Ins\Flash Player.plugin

\Library\Internet Plug-Ins\flashplayer.xpt

~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia\Flash Player\

~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player\

At this point, Flash Player should be fully removed from your system.  To download the most recent version of the Player for installation, please visit http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

But apparently this didn't work. If I try to run a NewsHour clip, for instance, I get a “plug-in failure” flag. (The clip runs fine on my phone.) How do I get rid of all previous versions of Flash, and install version 12?

Shouldn’t this kind of thing be simple?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's one other place to trash files from if you're still seeing the "blocked plugin".

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager

Trash everything there and then do the "clean install".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had very much the same issue. An "install" would progress to 95%, then freeze. I followed Mike M's advice, as well as running Uninstall again. Before removing the file

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager

I had gone through a number of procedures (booting safe, etc.). Would do everything in your list. Still would not proceed past 95%. A new file had been installed. Under ~/library/preferences/Macromedia/ the folder Flash Player appeared, this time with another Flash Player folder in that folder. A current update time would show in the Date Modified column.

I found and removed the file

com.adobe.flashplayer.installmanager

Dragged the Flash Player folder from Macromedia folder to the trash.

Re-ran Uninstaller.

Emptied the trash.

Rebooted.

Re-ran

install_flash_player_12_osx.dmg

and once again it only went to 95% -- and stopped.

A Force-Quit is required if you get that far.

But this time, the <user>/Library/Preferences/Macromedia folder contained a fresh Flash Player folder, containing

Folder: #SharedObjects

>Sub-folder:VBTASRWA

>>Sub-sub folder: 195.xxx.xxx.181

>>Sub-sub folder: s.ytimg.com

>Sub-folder: macromedia.com

>>Sub-sub folder: support

Able to visit sites previously blocked in Safari and SeaMonkey (Mozilla) v. 2.26 nightly.

You are correct: Keeping Flash alive should inspire a more consolidated install or at least a much better uninstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines