• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My URL Hyperlink is being applied to full paragraph

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've applied the "Go to URL" hypertext link to a few words, but Framemaker 11 is applying the link to the entire paragraph. This is a consistent issue across many FM 11 files. Two other FM 11 users have taken my same file into their FM 11 and don't have this problem. How can I fix this?

Thanks, Terri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The range of a hyperlink is controlled by any changes in the formatting surrounding the marker insertion point. If there are NO changes in the neighbourhood of your marker, then FM will use the entire paragraph. If you apply a character tag around the text that holds the marker, then the hypertext link is limited to the extent of the applied character tag.

In your case, you should create a character tag (e.g. called Hypertext) with some different attributes (e.g. blue colour and/or underlined?) than the typical paragraph text and apply the tag to those few words. This will limit the hypertext zone and will help the users see where the link is located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... create a character tag (e.g. called Hypertext)

> with some different attributes (e.g. blue colour and/or underlined?)

My experience is that different attributes are not strictly necessary.

An otherwise As-Is Character Format will do (in cases where you

need that, possibly URLs in print editions of documents).

> This will limit the hypertext zone ...

That's the key contribution of the Ch Fmt.

> ... and will help the users see where the link is located.

Also true where needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an otherwise As-Is Character Format will do

Surely the point of a hyperlink is, erm, to provide a clickable link for online use? in which case it would seem only fair to the reader to give some teeny indication of which words are clickable and which are not. Of course, I suppose OP could be including verbatim URLs for readers to copy by hand from paper to browser, and intending to track them in the .fm source …

The intriguing bit of the question, for me, is why the same file behaves differently in Terri's installation and in others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone,

I followed your advice and it worked. I had applied a character tag but in the wrong order.

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Surely the point of a hyperlink is, erm, to provide a clickable link for online use?

Sure, but various scenarios require that they be "silent". For example, I'm working on a reference manual in which almost all of the topic-specific terminology appears in a Glossary, and every use of each term is actually an Xref-by-paratext to the run-in lead para of that Glossary entry. The body text would be a visual overload if all such linked content were set-off in the usual fashion. Plus, the typical reader will only click a given term once or twice until they learn what it means, after which they don't want to see the link decorations.

> in which case it would seem only fair to the reader to give some

> teeny indication of which words are clickable and which are not.

The PDF reader or HTML browser does that for you on silent links. It changes the default mouse sprite to a finger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good points … context explains a lot, as always!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines