• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Interface, Tools and menus have disappeared

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have come across a problem I have never seen before.

I opened Indesign CC tonight and all that I could see was the Mac Menu at the top with Indesign, File, Edit etc - but nothing else. The workspace, tool bars and icons are not to be seen.

Thinking it was a corrupt file I deleted Indesign and re-downloaded it. It made no difference. I also loaded Indesign CS5 and got the same problem.

When I did download the fresh version instead of “open program” the message I got was “up to date.”

Anyone know what I have done and how to correct the problem.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably hit the Tab key by accident. Click Tab again and see if you get back your menus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ellis,

I tried that, it made no difference.

What puzzels me is that I used the cleaner and deleted the program, including preferences, I then downloaded a fresh copy. I expected when I opened it up it would be back to default. But no, it returned to just the mac menu bar.

I even installed Indesign CS5, a different program, and it reacted the same way.

The program recognises files, open files and saves them, but I just cannot see them.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color is the blank screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a screen dump.

The top menu is all I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I'm seeing the link correctly. You can embed the image in a post using the camera icon, like this:

CameraIcon.png

In the meantime, try trashing the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screen dump. All I am able to see is the top menu File, Edit etc.

Screen Dump.png

The top menu is all I am able to see. I cannot find a way to see the tool bar, menus, icons etc.

I can also see no way to get them back. I deleted the preferences and it made no difference.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have access to the menu, try View > Screen Mode > Normal and Window > Workspace > Reset [Workspace Name] or a differnt workspace entirely. Also try turning on the application frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I tried all that and it made no difference. I am at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing this.

It is only happening with Indesign CC, the other programs are fine,

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen if you make a new user on the Mac and log in with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I have found the problem. There was a problem with the video card and I sorted it. After that Indesign worked perfectly.

Photoshop and Illustrator worked with the fault on the card, but not Indesign.

I would have thought if Indesign did not show the menus and work areas, so would all the other programs.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello James,

How did you fix this I'm going crazy trying to figure out was wrong with my Indesign and this is the closest I've found to my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please start a new thread and include a screen shot. Your problem may be very different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

I have the same problem. I have been trying for hours to try and figure out how to get the menu bar and tool bar up and it does not help that I am a novice to this......

Thanks

Tanja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried pressing Tab or Esc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

I have found it. It's a frame within a frame. So to get to the menu bar I have spent hours (blush) looking for I had to move the inside frame down. So simple but really hard to find if you are a beginner 🙂

My next mission is to find the same tools (down the right side) that appear in the tutorials that don't appear in my version of ID.... probably just as simple 🙂

Thanks

Tanja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are a Mac user. You might want to turn on the Application Frame (I believe that's under the View menu), and work with your documents in tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's under the Window menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saying that the solution is to turn on the Application Frame and work in tabs - is not a fix!  I do not configure my worksoace that way (never have) as I juggle many projects at a time - and it's user preference.  I'm having the same issue with all menus not showing up when I start Adobe programs - mainly InDD & AI - but also PSD.  I'm on Mac OS Ventura using Adobe CC23 - all up-to-date.  I recently updated to a new MacBook and this is when it started - worked fine in my older MacBook running an older OS with CC23.  If I hit the tab buttom some menus reappear, but tool bar usually does not - I have to go into window & turn it off then back on for it to appear.  I also have an issue with my floating artboard sizing all screwy when I resize it - dragging the bottom right corner makes the top come down, and any horizontal sizing makes it even smaller on each drag - very odd & frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines