• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm expecting delivery soon of a new Mac Pro, nicely loaded, which I purchased mainly because of all the work I do with video. Yet, I read in a review that Adobe Premiere Pro isn't optimized to take advantage of the new Mac Pro, won't run faster, and I'm better off using Apple's Final Cut.

1. Is this true?; and

2. If so, will Premiere Pro be updated any time soon to run best on a 2014 Mac Pro?

My new Mac Pro will have the following configuration:

3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache

32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC

1TB PCIe-based flash storage

Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 325 Replies 325
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eschillay,

No, it's not true. The new MacPro and Premiere Pro CC work very well together. I'm not sure where you heard anything negative. As one of my colleagues says, "The performance of Premiere Pro on this hardware is way more than most people need," so the software is already optimized for the new Mac Pro. In fact, its dual GPUs can be utilized for export, for better quality and faster speeds. Read about that here.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a recent review in the Wall Street Journal:

Adobe’s popular Creative Suite software, which is used by many developers, animators, graphic artists and other creative pros, isn’t optimized for the Mac Pro yet. The Verge, which uses Adobe’s Premiere Pro video-editing software over Final Cut, said “editing in Premiere didn’t feel much snappier on the Mac Pro than it does on the previous generation, or even on the current iMacs.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/12/27/mac-pro-what-the-early-reviews-say/

---

From MacRumors.com:

When Adobe -- and other performance-focused applications -- are inevitably upgraded to take advantage of the Pro, it's likely the performance improvements will shine like they do with Final Cut Pro X. Until then, however, the Mac Pro is mostly an incredibly well-designed, and fast, Mac. With new Mac Pro orders currently delayed until at least February, perhaps it will give developers time to upgrade their software.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/23/mac-pro-reviews-find-impressive-hardware-but-few-software-titles...

----

From TheVerge.com:

I work in an Adobe world, where the story is a bit different. Premiere is also able to deal with native 4K Epic footage, so I brought in our test batch through the Media Browser. I set up a timeline based on the clips' native size and codec. Without any rendering, and without applying any effects, I couldn’t play any Epic footage in Premiere at an acceptable frame rate.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/23/5234574/apple-mac-pro-review-2013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eschillay,

Good luck with the new MacPro! If you are not yet a Premiere Pro CC user, you can check out a trial of the application to make sure that it meets your needs for performance.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I am a CC subscriber and have Premiere Pro CC on my system. My concern was whether or not to spend the time to learn the software fully for my uses or just stick with Final Cut Pro because Final Cut may run better on the new computer.

Best,

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E,

Premiere Pro CC on the new MacPro will be awesome, and will get better as new versions are released. I'd definitely go down that road. I do not have experience with FCP X, so I really can't make a recommendation there.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's certainly not on my brand new, clean install MacBook Pro.  It keeps stopping and/or crashing. and or spinning pizza.  Almost never finishes anything.  It was better on my 2008 MacBook!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin I do have some questions... Why is it that everyone at Adobe will say Adobe Premiere CC works great with the new Mac Pros but mine crashes just about every time when I try to render a video using "GPU"? I have called into support at Adobe and had a remote screen session and they to have seen the render crash and LOCK UP the Mac! After an hour or so they just say " we about the problems with the graphic cards and the only work around is to use "Software Only" render settings. I have also called in to Mac and have tried to get it worked out. The only software on my Mac that will lock up my Mac is Premiere. A 5000.00 Mac, 2500.00 Pegasus2, and a 50.00 monthly software lease and I can still not get GPU!!! I will posted a video to see if someone has a clue because No one has a clue at Adobe or Mac. Please help!eschillay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow its absurd this is happening to some of us. Abode needs to get it ixed cuZ accordinf to apple thos wont happen with final cut x. So its all on adobe aparently. Unlesss they both need to get a patch to fix this.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 13/05/2014, a las 08:30 p.m., safehouse909 <forums_noreply@adobe.com> escribió:

Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

created by safehouse909 in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

Hello Kevin I do have some questions... Why is it that everyone at Adobe will say Adobe Premiere CC works great with the new Mac Pros but mine crashes just about every time when I try to render a video using "GPU"? I have called into support at Adobe and had a remote screen session and they to have seen the render crash and LOCK UP the Mac! After an hour or so they just say " we about the problems with the graphic cards and the only work around is to use "Software Only" render settings. I have also called in to Mac and have tried to get it worked out. The only software on my Mac that will lock up my Mac is Premiere. A 5000.00 Mac, 2500.00 Pegasus2, and a 50.00 monthly software lease and I can still not get GPU!!! I will posted a video to see if someone has a clue because No one has a clue at Adobe or Mac. Please help!eschillay

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6380384#6380384

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

safehouse909 wrote:

Why is it that everyone at Adobe will say Adobe Premiere CC works great with the new Mac Pros but mine crashes just about every time when I try to render a video using "GPU"?

Perhaps we can figure it out within the community; I'd suggest perhaps changing the tone of your opening statement.  I can understand frustration, but subtle sniping at Adobe isn't going to help.

I have called into support at Adobe and had a remote screen session and they to have seen the render crash and LOCK UP the Mac! After an hour or so they just say " we about the problems with the graphic cards and the only work around is to use "Software Only" render settings.

What source footage are you editing?  What are you exporting to?  What aftermarket plugins are you using?

I have also called in to Mac and have tried to get it worked out. The only software on my Mac that will lock up my Mac is Premiere. A 5000.00 Mac, 2500.00 Pegasus2, and a 50.00 monthly software lease and I can still not get GPU!!! I will posted a video to see if someone has a clue because No one has a clue at Adobe or Mac.

Calling Apple regarding this isn't going to result in much, unfortunately.  I wouldn't recommend doing that.  Their service and support folks are top notch; literally the best in the industry.  This specific issue is with Pr and something in your computing environment, I suspect.  In other words: nothing Apple can help with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason I guess changing my tone can be had to do at times when my clients are not happy with the turn around time. But really the problem with this is not their problem. So..... Adobe wins the prize.

shooting with Panisonic AG-HMC150 1080p

have tried exporting to DVD setting and any of the H264 settings

No 3rd party plugins

honestly if you could see how basic these last to jobs have been you would be surprised. The post work is very basic. No color correction no hard compositing ,nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

safehouse909 wrote:

Jason I guess changing my tone can be had to do at times when my clients are not happy with the turn around time.

Flies, honey, etc.

honestly if you could see how basic these last to jobs have been you would be surprised. The post work is very basic. No color correction no hard compositing ,nothing

Did you start these projects in CS6 by chance, and then import them?

Do you have the CUDA drivers installed by chance?  Those get sneaked in by another piece of software, and they can royally truck things up on the Mac with Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry meant to spell "hard" not "had".

No all in CC. Also no extra drivers. Just got the new mac an installed the apps and that is it. Just started working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin. I understand for Adobe everything seems to be tight and flawless between Adobe CC and the new MAC PRO. But Don't you think after the first case which was mine, now with more people having the similar issue, Adobe gurus should look into it? I mean, I have all sorts of problems exporting with the GPU OPEN CL and with the software only I do not. On top of that, with my MacBook pro if I try the same with option works well. Never Crashes...So, there is something wrong with the new Mac Pro using the GPU resources after the export is longer than a couple of hours or so...Short Exports work fine, the problem is when you do longer exports. Apple Say they are looking into it, but they do not have any problems with FINAL CUT X, and since Adobe is a 3rd party software, is ADOBE who should be looking into that, Not APPLE.

Does it make sense what I am saying, or am I here the crazy guy trying to make sense of this?

I think Adobe should strongly look into this and give us an update or so, instead of washing their hands that it all works perfect, when It does not. I was the first case ever, worldwide...Not anymore, people are having the same issue and I waited for this moment just to make sure I was not the only lunatic, or black sheet that got a bad Mac Pro. Something is wrong, and thats for sure...

Alain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree with alainmaiki!

We have our new MacPro sinca about 6 weeks. We use PPro CC and AE CC in combination. The problems are this big, that we can't use the new MacPro anymore for the daily workflow and we step back to our old MacPro 2010 and the Retina MacBook Pro.

We're in touch with adobe support, but they do not feel to take our problems seriously. Support says: " We can't help you this day.. Maybe some day an update of CC will eliminate the problems.."! Perfect, thank you guys - we are a professional video studio and we NEED to have a system, that allows a fast workflow...

Please, Adobe - set the MacPro problems to highest priority in developping!

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same position as Mr. Colt. My new MacPro was rendered - no pun intended - unusable with Premiere Pro and After Effects CC. A clean reinstall of OSX followed by a reinstallation of Creative Cloud applications made little difference. I've returned the Mac Pro to Apple and have ordered another. In the mean time, my Retina MPB continues to keep my doors open. C'mon Adobe team, keep the pedal to the metal.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom! let us know when u test your new mac pro that is on your way. As soon as I finish editing my feature film soon, I will contact apple for replacement. It is unacceptable, I am very frustrating that neither Apple nor Adobe care about this...Think about it, Kevin and the other guys are not answering any of our humble complaints...I love Adobe, Period! but this is dragging my workflow big time and it was a tough purchase to spend 7k on a Computer to then see it crashing 9 out of 10 times when I export Red Raw 4k...even when I export Red Raw to 720p for christ sake. it's very frustrated but I am positive and sure that a fix will come out soon, and Apparently it is like the Malasia Plane...all a mistary...everyone at adobe won't talk...they'll fix it... everyone's forgets about it...Life goes on!!! I have no problem with that...I hope it happens soon... Premiere Pro CC on timeline is awesome with 4k, but now with maverick latest update, guest what? We get bars and artifacts also on the timeline...Go figure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I am using the new 2014 Mac Pro with D500 GPUs and am receiving a lot of bad render frames.  This happens most frequently when i render the timeline, even across different codecs.   I can usually output the timeline alright, but usually only after a few PP crashes.

Can you speak to the bugginess with Premiere Pro CC + OSX 10.9.3 + D500s?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2014 Jun 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all do respect, your response is horse poo. I'm getting crushed by PP and Encoder crashing and not performing. It's been how many days now and Adobe has not fixed the problem? In addition to the $ being spent on CC and the $ spent on a new Mac Pro I'm bleeding $ from not being able to finish jobs. I'm so upset that I based my purchase of the new MP because Adobe claimed to be completely functional on the platform. Please tell whom ever you have to get your shit together and do right by your loyal customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stand up wrote:

With all do respect, your response is horse poo... Please tell whom ever you have to get your **** together and do right by your loyal customers.

I hope that when Apple finally releases the official OS X 10.9.4, and it appears to fix the vast majority of these glitches, that you publicly and loudly apologize to Kevin and the rest of the Adobe crew.

Jus'... sayin' ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello The stand up,

The stand up wrote:

With all do respect, your response is horse poo.

Please note that my previous responses on this thread were made prior to OS X 10.9.3 being released, which is when these issues really started cropping up. I understand your frustration, though, and I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.

The stand up wrote:

I'm getting crushed by PP and Encoder crashing and not performing. It's been how many days now and Adobe has not fixed the problem?

As I've said on other threads, we're working with our partners at Apple and AMD for a fix. Keep in mind that this problem is affecting other applications, such as, DaVinci Resolve.

The stand up wrote:

In addition to the $ being spent on CC and the $ spent on a new Mac Pro I'm bleeding $ from not being able to finish jobs. I'm so upset that I based my purchase of the new MP because Adobe claimed to be completely functional on the platform. Please tell whom ever you have to get your **** together and do right by your loyal customers.

Export with the Mercury Playback Engine in "Software Only" mode. If that isn't working, see if you can roll back to OS X 10.9.2. Other than that, there's not really much I can suggest. We can only hope that the next version of OS X will fix this issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a possible work-around or maybe even fix if it continues to work.  Today, after contacting Adobe Tech Support and Apple Tech Support...The Adobe Tech suggested that I use Software Mode only in Premier to render out my files. I created a new project and made the software only selection from the project setup screen. I then put together a quick edit and rendered it out. It rendered without issue.  Here is where it gets interesting. I rebooted, opened up Premier Pro and this time allowed for Open CL to remain selected (Mercury Playback Engine) I again put together a sequence added effects and a transition then rendered out as H.264 with matched settings for 4K - The sequence rendered without issues.  So I don't know if changing to software only resent the previous settings for the Mercury Playback Engine or not but it has since rendered out 10 sequences about 5 minutes of footage each, with effects - WITHOUT issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the potential workaround. Can someone else please try this?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a go today and report back.

Tom Fuldner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Hi CueND,

Thanks for the potential workaround. Can someone else please try this?

The truly frustrating thing about this is that it's completely random.  I suspect his work-around was, in fact, just luck of the draw unfortunately.  I've switch back and forth between Software and Hardware MPE, cleaning the previews, caches, etc between each.  Regardless of what I do, I randomly get the strange glitching on export.  Sometimes random frames from the last project I was working on at the very beginning of the new export, too, which is just.. fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines