• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Debugging is BROKEN. Can't launch debug more than a couple of time. (says it can't delete swf file)

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do this:

- open a project

- start debugging it

- my code throws some error, so execution stops and I can see the error backtrace

- stop debugging (I click the stop button, then I even click "remove all terminated launches")

- edit some of the .as files and save

- try debugging again.

I get an error message saying thet the project has errors, whether I want to debug anyway. My code has no compile error. The only error that appears in "problems" is:

xxx.swf: cannot access file. The file is in use by another project.

If I choose to procede anyway, the debug is launched but the project has not been recompiled (obviously) and the older version prior to changes is run.

If I manually clean the project I get the error:

cannot delete xxx.swf

where xxxx.swf is the main swf of the application.

OBVIOUSLY no other process is using the swf file except FlashBuilder itself.

No way I can get debugging to work. I have to close Flash Builder, restart it, then I can debug the project. Once. Because the next time I edit something and try to debug again, i get this nonsense error again.

Is there a fix for this bug that renders Flash Builder useless?

thanks

m.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to our whole class and me at home.  I have put up with it before because I do not make many runtime errors - but the class does almost every other time they run it.  Attached is a screen shot clearly showing that the line the debugger is stuck on is commented out.  It seems to be because the swf file cannot be deleted.  I am on Windows 8, they are on Windows 7.  I spent a day trying to find a solution - I know I can close and clean but obviously, this is not practical.  And certainly not practical for beginner Flash Builder coders - especially during an exam.

I will continue to look for solutions.  I have tried running as both administrator and not - I have tried reinstalling, it does not matter which version of AIR, it does not matter if it is a trial version or not.

error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to ensure FlashPlayer or any browser instances of any of the SWFs are closed before compile.

Manually delete the swf and clean the project to ensure things are read/write capable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not manually delete the swf nor could we clean.  The swf was still running in the debugger still invisibly that is why we could not delete it. 

Found a temporary semi-solution.  If you get the runtime error the first time then you can look under Run on the top menu and choose Terminate (CTRL F2). Fix the error and then test again. Warning, if you test again before terminating, you are no longer given the chance to terminate and you have to shut down.  So... that at least is a way we can proceed without shutting down each time and will do until Adobe makes a fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes the classic hidden behind the app issue..

ALT Tab a lot and see if you can get to the compiler to press the STOP button it will be in the bar above console window.

If you cant CTRL + ALT + DEL and kill the FlashPlayer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the debugger was not in my tabs but it is there as a background process so closing that works.  Thanks.  Obviously, a little annoying to do every time you have a compile error...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does it 90% of the time for me on every FlashBuilder / Flex I've ever had the pleasure of working on.

Also love it when the compiler locks when the browser player locks up with a prompt you cant select and have to ctrl alt del end task lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines