Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image buttons won't go away

Participant ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have created an up, down and over state for my image buttons and saved them into the Captivate "Gallery > Buttons" folder. Two odd things are happening:

1. When I delete the image files from the "Gallery > Buttons" folder the buttons do not disappear from the applications' interface in the "General > Image button" drop down menu. Can anybody tell me why this is and how to make them go away?

2. After saving many different up, down and over states for my set of icons, I copied and pasted them into the "Gallery > Buttons" folder. I then went to the folder to check and view them and discovered that every single file had the same image in it!!! I have never in 25 years of operating a computer seen this happen. Can anybody tell me why this is happening and how to make it stop happening?

Thank you to everybody in advance for your time.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Captivate image buttons are cached inside your project file after the first instance you use them in that project. 

So any changes made to the original buttons in the Gallery are not reflected inside your project because Captivate sees you already have a copy of a button with that same name in the project.

In Captivate 7.0.1 there is now an option to Delete Unused Button Images.  This allows you to clean out some of the rubbish in your project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate image buttons are cached inside your project file after the first instance you use them in that project. 

So any changes made to the original buttons in the Gallery are not reflected inside your project because Captivate sees you already have a copy of a button with that same name in the project.

In Captivate 7.0.1 there is now an option to Delete Unused Button Images.  This allows you to clean out some of the rubbish in your project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rod. Can you tell me where to find this "Delete unused buttons" facility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only available once you select an image button.  It's in the Properties tab > General accordion, directly underneath the scrolling section that shows all the available image buttons.  But you need to have Cp7.0.1.  Not an earlier version.  And the button will be disabled unless there are unused button instances in your project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod

I followed your instructions (I hope) by creating an image button, and then finding the "Delete unused button images" button in the general accordion. It was greyed out. So I then closed the project and went to "Preferences > Clear cache" and cleared the cache. Then I opened the project again. Alas the buttons are still displaying in the drop down even though the image files are no longer in existance anywhere on my system. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The buttons are cached INSIDE the CPTX project file.  Clearing the Project Cache folder is not going to remove the buttons from your CPTX file.

The button to Delete Unused Button Images only applies to the file you are currently working on, and only if there are button images in that file that are not used anywhere on any slides in the project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod

I have deleted every single button in the project in order to try and find a resolution to this problem. The "Delete unused image button" button is still greyed out. The image buttons still appear in the menu. What would you suggest for me to try now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the names of the button images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't because they don't exist anymore. This is the mystery. The images don't exist and yet the buttons (or at least their names and thumbnails) still appear in the drop down menu in the interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources