8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 6:54 AM by luxorion

Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?

luxorion Level 1

Hi,

I have the possibility to use AE CS6 and a computer with either a graphic card Nvidia GTX 660 or GTX 770.

Are they supported by Windows 8.1 and After Effects CS6 ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have any info on what operating systems your card will work with. I'm sure the card manufacturer can provide that sort of information.

If it works for your OS, it'll work for After Effects (most likely). AE doesn't use the GPU for much. You can read here for what the GPU does in After Effects. As you'll see on that page, one feature in a stock installation of AE that might make use of a specific GPU is acceleration of the ray-traced rendering. That page also links you to a list of what GPU's are white-listed to work with that feature.

• 2. Re: Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Szalam is correct. Be sure to carefully read the document that he linked to.

• 3. Re: Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?
              luxorion Level 1

Yes,  I read that link and specs before.

But I wonder to not see the GTX 660 in that list (which is much cheaper than GXT 770 which is listed).

So according to the list the GTX 660 is not supported although it work well under my Windows 7.

So in upgrading to Windows 8.1 and a new HP Envy computer I need to be sure that AE CS6 supports that card, and at first sight, it seems not. Do you confirm ?

• 4. Re: Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'll restate what that page says:

The fact that a card is not on the whitelist does _NOT_ mean that it is not supported for use with After Effects. All that it means is that the card will not be used for a single feature (a feature that you probably don't care about, the ray-traced 3D renderer).

So, this statement is not correct:

> "So according to the list the GTX 660 is not supported"

• 5. Re: Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?
                  luxorion Level 1

OK understood.

I will use AE CS6 with plugins like particle, trapecode, element 3D, pro shader.

So in this case I presume that GTX 660 is enough.

But I also understand that as soon I will use text or vectors in 3D (ray-traced 3D renderings) GTX 660 could cause some problems. NB. I also use 3D modules from Photoshop and Illusttator as well as Terragen 3

Each of these applicationd use the GPU for some functions, but I ignore details.

So if I follow you, better to avoid the GTX 660 as soon as ray-traced is concerned and only use a card listed in the AE specs.

• 6. Re: Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?
                    luxorion Level 1

Hi,

"ray-traced disabled" does it mean that the object surface will be display as a wireframe instead of with shades and texture or it will not even be displayed ?

Is there on the web, some screenshots showing the result of using a graphic card with ray-traced rendering functions enabled vs. disabled (not necessary in AE, even using another apps) ?

Tks

• 7. Re: Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

luxorion wrote:

"ray-traced disabled" does it mean that the object surface will be display as a wireframe instead of with shades and texture or it will not even be displayed ?

Where are you seeing "ray-traced disabled"? If you don't have a card that supports the accelerated rendering of the ray-tracing, After Effects still shows it - it just takes a lot longer to render.

luxorion wrote:

Is there on the web, some screenshots showing the result of using a graphic card with ray-traced rendering functions enabled vs. disabled (not necessary in AE, even using another apps) ?

Other apps use other technologies to do ray-traced rendering. Hey, even AE CC includes Cinema 4D which does ray-traced rendering in a completely different way. So your request for something showing it "even using other apps" is entirely pointless.

I'm sure YouTube has some examples you could see of rendering with and without the acceleration, but you can also read about it on forums and such. People were talking about it especially in the threads where people were discussing "hacking" After Effects to make it use cards that weren't on the whitelist. They were comparing their render times before and after.

You seem to be focusing on this ray-traced rendering too much. Stop worrying about it!

This ray-tracing thing is a very minor feature of After Effects and, in AE CC is already an outdated way to get 3d objects in AE. Especially if you're using Element 3d, there is no reason for you to be concerned about this feature at all. Element 3d is a much, much better choice.

Speaking of Element 3d, the graphics card does matter for it, so check out Video Copilot's page on Element 3d and their list of what cards work with it best.

• 8. Re: Are NVidia GTX 660 and GTX 770 supported by AE CS6 ?
                        luxorion Level 1

Thanks for your help.

It becomes clearer ;-)