Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script Error Message

Jan 23, 2007 Jan 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our online manual users are receiving the following error message on compiled stand alone electronic manual files created using RobohelpHTML:

“Internet Explorer Script Error
An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 283
Char: 5
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0
URL: mk:@MSITStore (stand alone file location address.)

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?”

We are only receiving the error messages on 3 of 60+ computers that the compiled stand alone electronic manual files are used on. The error message does not impact any functionality of the online manuals it is just more of an irritant than anything.
TOPICS
Classic , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2007 Jan 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello gortonl,

Welcome to the forum. Most of these IE script error messages can be safely ignored, but as you say are irritating. To inhibit the messages, you could, in IE on the affected machines, select Tools\Internet Options and select the Advanced Tab.
Under the heading Browing, uncheck the option "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)".

This will prevent the irritating message displaying.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2007 Jan 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your response. The problem started a couple of months ago and I think we tried what you suggested however it didn't stop this script error however I will double check with the users that are still getting the messages.

Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2007 May 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm getting this problem as well.
Has anyone found a solution yet?

My problem happens with most (but not all) of my help files when invoked from a C++ utility. The error does not happen if I just double-click the .chm file in it's directory.

The error message is :-

Internet Explorer Script Error
An error has occurred in the script on this page
Line: 283
Char: 5
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0
URL ...
Do you want to continue running scripts ont his page? (Yes/No)

I tried unchecking the option "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)" as you suggest, but it had no effect.

I also tried unchecking the option "Disable script debugging (Other)".
This causes a different error :-
"A Runtime error has occurred.
Do you wish to Debug?
Line: 282
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method"

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks...........Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 17, 2007 May 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you both are talking about .chm output, are you trying to run it from a network? The .chm file needs to be on the local PC. It became apparent when Miscrosoft started plugging security holes some time ago.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2007 May 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick response, H.

No, I am not trying to run it from a network. (As it happens I came across the network problem some time ago, so I knopw all about it.)
The .chm files are on my PC.

I did some further investigations last night. I had thought maybe the C++ code used to pop up the help box was causing the problem. However, I ruled that out by confirming that the same C++ call works with some .chm files and not with others.

So it must be a problem with the .chm files themselves (???)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that's as far as I can go with .chm. I think someone else will jump in here.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a small observation will help here? I've seen script errors manifest inside .CHM files when the following conditions occur:

1. The user is clicking a popup link.
2. The user is rapidly Double-clicking the link.

Keep in mind that in the HTML world, single clicks activate things. Further, in RoboHelp HTML, popups are handled using JavaScript. So if your user rapidly double-clicks a link to a popup topic, script errors can occur as JavaScript gets confused.

Hopefully this helps a smidge... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2007 May 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Rick,

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think that's the problem, however, because the help file is invoked by our C++ software.
We have a "Help" menu item, which pops up the herlp file automatically when selected.
When I click on the .chm file itself, the problem does not occur.

The help files were created about 6 months ago, so they are not even very old.
Maybe I'll have to try re-creating them, but there are literally dozens of them so I'm loathe to have to do this.

gortonl - how did you get around the problem?

Thanks agian for everyone's help........Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp