Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when resizing IE Window

New Here ,
May 21, 2007 May 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I am a software tester for our company and have been trying to put Captivate 2 through our certification process. We came across an error and I was wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar... We start a new recording session, open up Internet Explorer and go to a web site (i.e. www.google.com) and resize the window. This results in an error - "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." We click Close and IE shuts down. When Captivate is not recording we can resize the window without any issues. We are running Windows XP Pro with IE 6. My personal laptop at home does the same thing. I've narrowed it down to web sites that place a curser in a text box by default (the search box on Google, a web site you need to put in your credentials for). If a text box is not selected (the cursor is not blinking), then the resize works fine.

Any ideas? I've been trying to work with the Adobe support and haven't been too successful getting help from them yet. So until I can end the run-around, I figured I'd post here.

Thanks all!

SJ
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SJ and welcome to our community

I just now conducted a little test using IE. Mine allowed me to resize with no issues. I know you said you could reproduce it both on the work and home PCs. Here are some questions:

1. What version of Internet Explorer are you using? (I'm using version 7)
2. What recording mode and options were you using?

You ask if there are any ideas at the end of your post. I'm not being snide here, but I'm sure it could sound that way. Just wanted you to know it's not intended that way.

Fom what you have posted, it would seem you have discovered your own workaround. For starters, I'm not sure I'd ever be trying to resize a window I'm recording, but I'm sure you have your reasons for doing so. And as you have seemed to discover, before you resize the window, just make sure you click outside the text field before resizing it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick! Thanks for the quick response! All the computers I've been using have IE 6. We are not able to upgrade to IE 7 because we know it breaks some of our critical software at the moment. This happens in Software Simulation using any recording mode and it I've tried enabling/disabling different options under "Recording Options". I've also tried different resolutions and disabling hardware acceleration for the video card as Adobe suggested in their knowledgebase. All resulted in the error.

I just knew someone would make a comment about resizing the window during recording Yeah, while I don't use Captivate for production myself, I know the people who do will definately come across this. In fact, one of the users who came by to try it out found the problem in the first place. And I found that management doesn't like workarounds (I tried convincing them) because once we "certify" it, then any problems become our problem. So I guess I'm stuck trying to find a solution It looks like I might finally have another chance to call Adobe, though, so I'll see if I can get anything from them.

Thanks for your help! And if you happen to think of anything else, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2007 May 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Just an FYI in case anybody would come across this error: I talked to Adobe Support and they were able to verify it is a bug within Captivate 2. I've only experienced it with a combination of Windows XP Pro and IE 6. Windows 2000 worked okay, Firefox and XP was okay, and as Captiv8r stated, IE 7 appears to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources