Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 7 on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am running the final version (GM) of Mac OSX 10.9 and Captivate 7 will not work.

The software appears to launch and then just crashes before any dialog boxes appear...I am running the most up to date versions of Java and Flash.

Please tell me there is an easy fix for this as I can't believe a company as big as Adobe wouldn't test their software on an operating system which has had beta versions available for the last 3 months.  10.9 goes live this week and this will cause some serious issues.

Are help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion is to be patient.  The whole world doesn't revolve around Apple.

There's no doubt Adobe knew about the Apple OS release and is currently testing Cp7 on it.  But it often happens that a newly released operating system will cause issues with software apps that predate its release.  But it can often take quite a long time to get everything sorted out and release updates to resolve issues.

Adobe has indicated previously on this forum that no version of Cp has been tested and approved for this new Apple OS.  If an Apple user might be wise to decide to delay updating to the new OS UNTIL Adobe releases their own update for Cp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm not mistaken this was posed as a question.

A question is normally followed by an answer, this is not an answer so I don't understand why you saw fit to even post this thinly veiled poke at apple.

In the future I recommend you think before you speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always think before I speak. My answer stands. 

If something similar were espoused by an irate Microsoft user who had installed Beta versions of Windows 9, my answer would be exactly the same.  (In fact I may have even done so when Windows 8 first came out and a user complained about Cp5 not working for them.)

You just need to be patient and wait for Adobe to release an update for Cp7 before it will work on the brand new Apple OS.  If you're lucky, you may not have long to wait.   If you didn't look before you leapt, you already installed the new OS, and now you cannot roll back, then that was your decision, and Cp7 may be no use to you for the moment.  Lesson learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Any update on this would be great, we have a team of developers who are now unable to use Captivate6 or 7...(I know, I know, we shouldn't have upgraded so soon...)

Thanks,

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you missed the point... We've paid big bucks for use Adobe product, they had a chance to prepare Captivate for Mavericks so why sould we be patient? Probably you check every software and utility on your computer before upgarding, but let me tell you this doesn't sounds like a real word scenario for us, since since we are quite busy with making money to pay our Adobe cloud subscription etc. Why do they need a couple of more weeks? Did we miss the payment at any time? Don't think so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what Mac user in the past ruined your day, but if it makes you feel better, I'll apologize for them. However, it doesn't justify such a condescending, unhelpful response. I don't know if you really understand the issue from a Mac enterprise perspective, so I'm going to outline it.

The fact is that Adobe failed to notify Captivate 7 users about the Mavericks issue until days after most users had already discovered it, and the "solution" isn't really a solution. Adobe also hasn't been particularly clear about when a fix is coming. The (very poorly written) blog post on 10/28 discussing this issue seems to indicate that a patch is coming "in next couple of weeks", but I saw a response in another thread from the Engineering team today which said at least 2 - 3 weeks. So, for my personal machine and license, I guess I can roll it back (which will take an entire day, basically) or I can buy VMWare. Neither of these are "solutions".

The failure to support Captivate 6 users is also particularly awful and indefensible; if you purchased Adobe Captivate in February of this year (as I did in my day job), you're now required to either downgrade your OS or re-up your purchase of Captivate again. In an enterprise setting, downgrading an OS is really difficult to get done. Also, if you manage an enterprise team of users (like I do), you're going to get laughed at, then yelled at, when you tell your VP that you need to spend an additional $7K on software you just bought earlier this year. I guess I should've chosen the subscri... oh, wait. Adobe doesn't support subscription purchases for volume licensing on Captivate. Finally, I've got two iMac workstations ordered for contracting help, and those can't be rolled back to Mountain Lion. I'm really looking forward to explaining that, not only do I need seven thousand extra dollars, I also won't actually be able to use the software I'm buying for at least a few weeks.

As an aside, It's pretty common knowledge (certainly common knowledge to a software company the size of Adobe) that Mac users have a very high and very fast rate of upgrade to new OS versions - this is also standard with iOS. If the Adobe Captivate team wants to play in the Apple space, they should've been prepared for this. I don't remember any such issue with Captivate 6 and Lion to Mountain Lion. Your analogy about beta Windows users is flawed, since OSX 10.9 isn't a beta release. The beta release was way back in June, which is when the Captivate team should've started testing it. The Creative Cloud team certainly knew this, and were ready on day one.

There's a lot more to this issue than just "stupid Mac users shouldn't have upgraded". It's a huge failure on the Adobe Captivate team's part to support the very customers they've been trying so desparately to attract in versions 6 and 7. The really infuriating part is that there are so many ways in which they could've avoided this; if they were unable to get the patch built prior to Mavericks release (which I still don't buy - I think they just didn't pay any attention until users starting reporting issues), the absolute bare minimum they could've done would have been to send an email to existing customers warning of the update. Hell, that still hasn't happened - it's all in the forums, one blog post, one tweet and one Facebook update. (Really professional, Adobe team). And expecting support for a product that could've been purchased 6 months ago isn't unusual - that's the standard. Failure to adhere to that tells me that the Adobe Captivate team doesn't value any of their Mac customers, which is why I think we'll be going elsewhere next year.

Hopefully this gives you some perspective on where some of us are coming from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All those Adobe personals here, it's not a matter of patience, it's not a matter of decision, it's not a matter of luck, and it's also not a matter of "revolve around Apple" ... It' just a matter of your impoliteness!! Understand? Even though we have decide wrong to upate, even though you are not able to solve the issues, that's nothing vital. But we just want help, say if you guys can do so, because we are customers. We are not forcing you, we just asking for help! If you want us to stay away from you, just post on this forum. You all are welcome to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working on support for 7 on 10.9, pl bear with us

Sent from my HTC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Captivate 6 and have two questions on this topic. Firstly though I just want to echo the frustration of the community. I cannot believe that not only are those running 7 put out for a couple of weeks, but those running 5 or 6 are simply getting no support whatsoever. Its shocking as I am running software that is less than two years old.

I am in the process of acquiring a licence for an update to version 6 to get version 7. I appreciate that 7 wont work until patched. What I am curious about though is wether I will even be able to run the upgrade and install the new version at all? Will this problem affect my ability to install?

Can anyone shed any light or offer their views  on this? Also I would be interested to understand the thinking behind the decision not to support version 6 on Mavericks at all!

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Mavericks on my MacBook and had no problem with installation. Captivate 7 just wouldn't open. Fortunately, I had a full backup and was able to roll back to Mountain Lion. It was a hassle, but I'm now able to work without issue.

Keeping up with upgrades has been a challenge with Adobe eLearning tools historically. I know it's frustrating, and I think everyone's frustration is warranted.

CC Suite working with Mavericks? Yes. Lots of revenue dollars means lots of resources. Not so much with what we use. I've worked in software, so I know how challenging new releases are. I look forward to the patch being released, and being able to upgrade to Mavericks again.

I hope Adobe listens to their customers and begins to balance better quality and speed for releasing new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For all Captivate 6 users on Mavericks (MAC OS 10.9), Captivate 6.0.2 patch has been released and can be downloaded from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/captivate/downloads.html

P.S. : This patch is only applicable on Captivate 6.0.1.240 or 6.0.0.199

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Suresh, Can we please have an update on how this patch is progressing?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MTB

The patch build is now being tested by selected set of customers ( beta customers ) and if you want to try out and provide feedback , please send me an email - sjayaram at adobe.com

Thanks

Suresh Jayaraman

PS: This is an open invitation for every one in this thread !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thanks Suresh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Suresh,

Just wanted to check how on how soon we can expect an update. Is there an ETA? Would be great if you could give us an estimate, just so that I can update my project timelines accordingly.

Thanks,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week from now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate patch compatible with Mavericks is released. Get yours NOW!

http://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/captivate-7-patch.html

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first step of the installation instructions is to "open Adobe Captivate". How does one go about doing that when CAPTIVATE DOESNT EVEN LAUNCH!!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My initial thought is that for those of us that run into this, we're going to have to do a fresh installation of Cap7.  Giving that a shot now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After install, make sure you delete or rename your Preferences folder as well.  That's always standard practice now for updates or re-installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not, Rod, even not for the prerelease and it was fine this time, didn't lose all customization. It was more important however to delete the Layouts in the user profile this time, because there are some new themes. I don't know if this is also the case for those who update using Help, Updates?

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve,

Everyone(Help: Updates as well as download from website and install) should delete Layouts folder after installing Cp7.0.1 to get new themes. We also mentioned the same in the help document published at http://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/captivate-7-patch.html.

Just adding the content for reference:

Important: Before using Adobe Captivate 7.0.1, ensure that you take a backup of the Layouts folder and delete it.

Layouts folder are present at :

• Windows Location: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\
  • Mac Location: /Users/<user account>/Documents/My Adobe Captivate Projects/

Thanks,

Sankaram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, Sankaram. Was this also necessary when installing over the latest prerelease version?

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Yes the free patch for Captivate 7 is going out today (November 18, 2013). No it isn't on all of the update servers yet. It takes some time for it all to roll out. You'll have to hold on a few hours while the servers update. I'm posting the details for Mavericks users on the blog later today (when the patch is actually online around the world.) 

Mavericks users will be able to update either using the Adobe Update Manager, or by using this direct link for download.   http://www.adobe.com/support/captivate/downloads.html  (At the moment, this is still pointing to the Captivate 6 update.  It will roll over to Captivate 7.0.1 and at that point you will be able to update.  Please READ the release notes, esp. as you'll need to make a copy of the Layouts folder and then delete the original Captivate 7 folder (or just rename the original Layouts folder.) 

The release notes are here: http://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/captivate-7-patch.html

The direct download will be from this page, once it goes live - later today: http://www.adobe.com/support/captivate/downloads.html

The blog with full details of the release for Mavericks Users will be here: http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/

--Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources