• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I post a Captivate 7 project in a Wordpress site?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2014 Mar 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a school district that uses Moodle so posting my projects on our district site has been relatively easy. I have my own site hosted by Siteground and I use Wordpress to develop the site and I want to post projects there also.

I can't seem to figure out how to post my Captivate 7 projects to my personal site.

When I try to load projects as SWF files I get a notificaiton that says, "Due to security issues, you are not able to load SWF files to this this site."

I want to load HTML5 files so Mac users can view and interact with the project but I can't figure this out.

I have a Lynda.com memebership but this doesn't seem to be covered on any of the tutorials - Or, I haven't found it yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom Hanninen

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

We just created a new Wordpress plugin that allows you to upload Captivate content.  For more information, see the link below:

http://www.elearningplugins.com/products/insert-embed-adobe-captivate-content-wordpress-plugin/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I like your plugin but I have a concern that you may be able to address. I saw this message on your site:

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 3.35.19 AM.png

My skill with Wordpress is VERY little. I am using Siteground as the host and I don't really understand how to access files on the site. Basically I can change the appearance, add pages, add content, etc., but I don't know what a php.ini file is and would have no idea how to manipulate that. If I got that error would the people at Siteground or at Wordpress be able to fix that easily?

I ask this because I have tried to use certain plugins and couldn't get them to work. I have no problem spending the money on your plugin since it appears to work VERY well but I don't want to spend the money then not be able to use it because I don't understand how to manipulate files on Wordpress.

Again, thanks for the link.

-Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Most hosting companies will change the php.ini file for you if you don't have access to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2014 Mar 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to my Wordpress dashboard and go to plugins to download your plugin it's not available in my search.

If I donwload it directly from your site will it automatically be installed on my Wordpress site?

-Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed on your Youtube viden that you uploaded your project as a SWF file. I have tried to upload SWF files to Wordpress in the past and I get a message saying I can't upload that type of file due to security reasons. Is this going to be an issue with your plugin?

I also noticed you did not choose HTML5 as a file type. Can your plugin upload Captivate7 files as HTML5 files so people with iPhones and Macs can view?

Thanks,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a comment in another thread, about that plugin because  it uses also SWF output, which is not a good idea. There are free plug-ins that will allow you to upload a SWF (without its companion files) to WP.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

As I mentioned to Tom, it'll work no matter which option you choose:  Just Flash, just HTML5, or both Flash and HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

Can you direct me to this other thread or can you explain why a SWF output is not a good idea?

-Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWF cannot be watched on mobile devices, because Flash Player is no longer supported for them.

If at least there was trial, now we only have to believe this will work, and plug-in seems not to be in the normal list as you point out. Will be looking for another way.

I was just telling in the other thread that the video shows how the CP-output was to SWF, and then you don't need a paid plug-in, there are free plug-ins. There is no example of publishing to HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense to eLearning but I have little experience with Wordpress and I hesitate to download the plugin because it's $99 and there is no contact information on their site and the plugin does not show up on the dashboard list.

Maybe this is complety normal for plugins but I'm hesitant to spend the money without some more information.

-Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree Tom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom and Lilybiri,

I just sent you a private message regarding sending you the full version of the plugin to try. 

Also, you can always contact me from my support page here:  http://www.elearningplugins.com/support/

Finally, the main reason why I don't offer the plugin in Wordpress's repository is because I'd have to maintain 2 different versions of the same plugin.  I've done that in the past and it's really difficult to maintain.  If I add features to the full version, I also have to add them to the Lite version to maintain feature parity.  Over time, you end up with a lite version of the plugin that doesn't necessarily represent all of the features of the full version.  It's really confusing to my customers.

Thanks,

Olivia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Due to popular demand, I created a trial version of the Captivate plugin.  Go here:

http://www.elearningplugins.com/products/insert-embed-adobe-captivate-content-wordpress-plugin/

Scroll down towards the FAQ.  You'll see a link for the trial version of the plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

In the screencast, I selected SWF output just because that was my default.  Whether you choose just SWF, just HTML5, or both SWF and HTML5, the plugin will choose the right file. 

Regarding HTML5 files on iPhones and Macs, it'll work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources