• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Version - Is it possible to assign this attribute to a compiled *.chm file?

May 22, 2007 May 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The testers in my development group are asking me whether I can provide a file version attribute that would be listed in Windows Explorer for my compiled *.chm file. Is this possible to do in RoboHelp HTML? My alternative was to provide a hardcoded date in the footer of a topic template.

thanks in advance,
ChristyG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ChristyG

I've never known this to be possible. It's not a RoboHelp thing either. I believe it's a limitation of the way .CHM files are constructed and presented to the Windows file system.

I'd say you are on the right track with inserting version information in other areas.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply back, Rick! I'm going to use the footer-in-a-topic-template method.

ChristyG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also add a file version/date trailer to each build version, then add none for the final build (MyBuild_May21,chm, MyBuild_May22,chm, MyBuild_May23,chm, etc.). Just change the chm file output name as you generate it.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007 Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to do something similar but due to the update nature of my online documentation I would need this to be updated regularly for a large amount of files.

Is there some way to update the footer in a more automated way?

What I am thinking of is creating a user defined variable with my version number and then adding that to the footers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brendan,

I think using a topic template is the best method. You can assign the template to multiple help topics in one action.

Here's what I do:

1. Right-click on the Templates folder and select "New Topic Template."

2. From the View menu, select "Footer." The text box for the footer appears in the template.

3. Type the text you want to use as the footer. Format the footer text as you wish (alignment, font, pt. size, etc.)

4. Save the template as a recognizable name, such as "Copyright_Blurb_projectXX."

5. In RoboHelp Explorer, click the "Topics" tab to view all help topics for the project in the main window.

6. Press the "Ctrl" key and select all topics that you want to assign the template to.

7. After you've selected the topics, right-click and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu. The Topic Properties window appears.

8. Click the "General" tab, then from the Template drop-down list, select the template you want to assign to the topic (for example, "Copyright_Blurb_projectXX").

9. Click "OK" to save your changes. RoboHelp assigns the template to all the help topics you selected.

Later on, if you need to change the footer, you just change it once by updating the topic template. All help topics that are assigned that topic template will automatically be updated with the change.

Hope this helps!

ChristyG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Great answer. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp