• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lots of goodies seen at the Adobe RoboHelp STC sneak peeks

Advisor ,
May 17, 2007 May 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In three different sessions at the STC conference in Minneapolis I saw pre-beta demonstrations of RoboHelp "next". Certainly there's a mind-boggling number of new features. But more than that, Adobe has spent a lot of time listening to authors about ways to make their workflow easier. The presentations were made by Akshay Madan, Adobe Product Manager for RoboHelp. He and his team have obviously been busy! Here's a recap:

1. What struck me right away was a multiple document interface (MDI). You can work nicely among any number of topics that are open and displayed in tabs. I'm glad to see that they are not planning to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The popular and friendly Word-like WYSIWYG editor is still central to the main work area. You still feel like a writer and not a coder (no offense to programmers).

2. At the same time, the UI is more modern and cleanly laid out. There are also customizeable toolbars and "pods" that can be moved around and configured the way the author works. These configurations can be given a name so for example, an author can have a layout for authoring sessions and one for editing sessions.

3. These movable panels or pods are handy, but I also like that you can quickly return to "factory defaults" in case the layout becomes too fragmented.

4. No <kadov> tags! These much-maligned tags are often used by competitors to bad-mouth RoboHelp. Well, they'll have to come up with something else because I saw nice clean, color-customizable code behind the WYSIWYG editor.

5. There is also Unicode and double-byte support for something like 34 different languages including Asian and Eastern European characters.

6. For single sourcing, the author can create multiple TOCs and name them so that they are easy to use when generating output for different audiences (or for print vs. online).

7. Help for translators: Because of MDI, a translator can have an English topic open in a pane side-by-side with a Japanese topic for easier comparison and editing. Languages can also be mixed. So, I can have Japanese, Greek or any number of words or phrases mixed within a topic. The same is true for the TOC, Index of keywords or Glossary of terms and definitions.

8. Snippets of HTML code make it easy to have chunks of text and graphics saved for re-use. For example a logo graphic and copyright statement can be saved and placed in multiple topics. If you change the logo or text in the snippet, the changes are populated wherever the snippet has been placed (kind of like RoboHelp 6's User Defined Variables on steroids).

9. Breadcrumbs offer a nice touch for the user experience with links that show the user where they are in the heirarchy of topics.

10. Searching in WebHelp/Flashhelp: When searching, the "hit" terms are highlighted in a color of the author's choosing. This can easily be turned off by the user as well.

11. Much improved Framemaker MIF support. Matthew Stern was at STC and was impressed. "You can import a MIF file directly into RoboHelp and everything is retained: variables, graphics (including Flash and Acrobat 3D files), and conditional text."

12. There is support for MS Vista and Office 2007 including the new XML-based .docx format, (though this was not yet enabled in the pre-alpha build I saw.)

13. Better Screen capture manipulation within topics.

14. Adobe representatives also said there would be news posted on the Adobe TechComm Blog with invitations to sign up for the beta program when it gets underway.

After using RoboHelp since 1992, I get caught up in the feature race like everyone else. But, as Vivek Jain, Group Product Manager for RoboHelp said, features are not the only thing that define innovation. Rather he says, "Quality is innovation."

This should put a rest to the "RoboHelp is dead" garbage.

As a user and instructor since 1992 it was very satisfying and exciting to see these sneak peeks and that Adobe is not only bringing RoboHelp back to life, but making it a central piece of the suite of applications that make up the Technical Communications (RoboHelp, Framemaker, Captivate and Acrobat).

Sneaks peeks were also shown for Adobe Framemaker 8 and Adobe Captivate 3 as well. The sneak peeks were introduced with the usual caveats, such as,“The features presented during the Technology Sneak peek contain proof of concept features and features in the development pipeline. They are not final for the next release however we want to take this opportunity to show the general direction of where we are taking the products.” They also mentioned that while they cannot comment about release dates, they "expect to see new releases this year." However, from what I saw, this pre-alpha build looked stable and rich with the functionality I've outlined.

It's an exciting time for technical communicators!
John
Evergreen Online Learning, LLC
Evergreen, Colorado

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when are they going to give us some real changes? I am, of course, just kidding. That is quite some list and I can but echo how much the Adobe guys have listened to all that we have said to them and then responded by actioning it, not just nodding and ignoring the input.

Great work.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Sounds really good to me! Thanks for the report.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 18, 2007 May 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the in depth update John.

It's been such a relief to watch Adobe wrap their arms around RoboHelp and give it the attention it deserves over the last year and it is now obvious that they have big plans for RoboHelp. This feature list covers many things that we have been wishing for and more. Personally, it's the MDI that I've been waiting for as this is something that will greatly improve productivity and totally change the way that I work.

Great to read such a positive post on a Friday morning
Thanks again
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2007 May 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"User Defined Variables on steroids"? LOL!. Seriously It really looks great for the future. Having taken my fair share of people Adobe biting over the last couple of years it now looks like the other HAT vendors will have a true competitor to deal with. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2007 May 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exciting news after waiting so long for an update and wondering if there really would be any!

From reading the post, these features are not in RoboHelp 6, but the 'next' version after that. Do you know if we'll be required to update to version 6, before going to this one? We're thinking of upgrading now, but I'm willing to wait if we can get the features outlined here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an interesting summary. I have just two issues.

First is the reference to describing the RoboHelp is dead message as "garbage." At the time this message began circulating through the help development world, it was not only not "garbage," but fact. Macromedia had stopped development on RoboHelp. It was a tool that didn't end up fitting into their mission.

That said, once Macromedia was bought by Adobe, things changed. Adobe had a different view, and it put together a team whose focus was tools for user assistance development. Work began anew on RoboHelp development, and so the message changed. Quite some time ago, as a matter of fact.

Second is the breadcrumbs feature. Help systems typically aren't like web sites and usually don't have hierarchies. That said, breadcrumbs properly don't show a hierarchy anyway; they are a trail back the way you came. Web designers co-opted the term "breadcrumb" to use for the set of site hierarchy links that so often accompany pages on a site, but it is in fact an entirely inappropriate use of the term.

Still missing (apparently) from the feature list is a means of developing embedded user assistance, be it for desktop or web-based applications. And with user assistance models moving toward managing user-generated content, as well as developer-designed content, the tools that we will need will have to adapt to that as well, and just one thing needed here will be integration with content management systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 22, 2007 May 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, twritersf!

Regarding your issues:
I absolutely take your point about "garbage." Yet, what I was addressing was that even after a year when Adobe clearly stated its support (and has delivered); the competitive rants still try to replay the "meme" that RoboHelp is dead. It's frustrating to me that many people still blame Adobe for things done by not only Macromedia, but eHelp for crying out loud. So, call me sensitive In fact, I appreciate your pointing this out in your post.

As for breadcrumbs. I kinda see your point, but I think it varies. Some systems are constructed in a heirarchical way and others not. In those cases where the author would like to implement this navigational scheme, it's nice that it is available no matter what it's called.

Your point about embedded user assistance is interesting. As you recognize, there is a partnership between the author and the web application developer. The languages and development platforms used by developers vary wildly. I think what RoboHelp as done and seems committed to do in the future, is provide APIs for developers to implement embedded help as they and the authors work together to champion the end user. I'd love to hear more of your ideas on this. I agree that the whole techcomm community is not doing as much as it should in the area of embedded help.

Thanx for some extremely interesting and timely points I had not thought about.
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

d2will

Put it this way, it has always been possible in the past to upgrade from any version. It was the case that you paid a full licence fee if you did not have one of the two previous versions but for RH6 Adobe only charged the upgrade fee whatever version you had.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is a list that would have me rushing to upgrade!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice report, John...thanks.

Did Adobe say anything about (my wish list):
> no longer writing to the boot record of the hard drive during installation
> Linux version
> user ability to not install (or at least ridd the system of any and all vestages of) Flash
> ability to hook to Open Office and not MS Word
> no longer requiring IE browser engine

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, Mark Whisler from Altera here. Did you get a feel for whether this was going to be a full release or an incremental release of RoboHelp 6?

.MW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Mark. There's nothing "incremental" about it! What I saw was a huge leap.
After using RoboHelp since 1992, I can say this is will be the most significant release I've ever seen.

One thing that I looked for was what did NOT change. That might surprise you because so many of us harp on new features. But, we forget that one of the reasons RoboHelp has been so successful is that it is author-centric, not programmer or "coder" centric. Let writers write. The new interface, while way more modern and slick, will not be strange or offputting to authors. Adobe engineers managed to make major changes without shocking the long-time user into a huge learning curve.

Sure, there is new functionality and that will require some orientation to discover new things. But nothing so weird that you'll have to throw out everything you knew.
Thanx,
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, LinuxRules!

Sorry I have nothing specific to report. What I saw was a little more than a half hour presentation of a pre-alpha build. There was no time to get into nitty-gritty. I do know that Adobe is a very standards-driven company and hopefully they will address some of your issues.

So, my advice would be to sign up for the beta when the time comes so you can put in your two cents directly. It would also be good for other Linux/open-office advocates to speak up as well.
Thanx,
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: johndaigle
So, my advice would be to sign up for the beta when the time comes so you can put in your two cents directly. It would also be good for other Linux/open-office advocates to speak up as well.
Thanx,
john

Thanks - I have done beta testing on-and-off for almost 15 years now so I'll "sign up" when the opportunity is presented.

I wish more Linux users would speak up and request Linux versions of commercial software...I for one have no problem paying a fair price for a software product that works on Linux.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'd like to offer one smidgeon of thought with regards to breadcrumbs. Think about a context sensitive situation where the user may open a topic from a dialog. These types of breadcrumbs could prove invaluable in locating where surrounding information might be located in the TOC!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Adobe answer to User Assistance for .NET applications?

johndaigle, thanks for your report. It is really comprehensive in terms of the new features for RoboHelp "Next".

I think that list includes everything we TW whished for plus! One point I think was missed out... that was about the incoming new .NET platform or longhorn.help. That's something I am already feeling the pressure to present a possible curse of action to my employee. They are developing .NET applications and the developers are refusing to link it to the traditional CHM file. They preferred to deliver an application without help than using the "old" style saying that this will cause a bad impression into our customers. So we are seeking a solution ASAP; a new online help platform to develop User Assistance for .NET applications.

Carlos Mills
Technical Writer
Grad Dip. Technical Communications
Grad Dip. in Systems Analysis
B.A. Social Sciences
FastTrack Pty Ltd
': +61 (03) 9225 9639
': +61 (03) 9225 9600
7: +61 (03) 9225 9601
*: cmills@fasttrack.net.au
": http://www.fasttrack.net.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos and welcome to our community

Isn't .NET used for Web Based applications? At least that's my understanding of things. I recall even back in version 2003 when Mike Hamilton (You know, the Madcap Flare guy?) was responsible for RoboHelp development, that he said then that nothing special was needed for .NET. Many folks thought (and perhaps many still do think) that .NET requires some special form of help geared toward .NET. From what Mike Hamilton stated years ago, WebHelp would be the way to go with this. And with WebHelp, really your imagination is the limit as to look and feel, because of the skinning ability.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome Carlos!
There are actually several questions in your question! I'll try to add to what Rick has mentioned.
RoboHelp has a .NET API (application programming interface) to help .NET developers connect WebHelp to their applications. The old Macromedia use to charge extra for this, but now it comes free with Adobe RoboHelp 6. You'll find it in this path on your computer:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp 6.0\CSH API\RoboHelp.NET

This also allows you to provide WebHelp as a "web service" to applications. (I'm not a developer so what I know is dangerous. )

On the other hand, you may also be referring to Microsoft's "next generation" of help that supposedly will replace their old .CHM format. There is a lot of disappointment in the TW community that Microsoft has not made it's new platform available to developers outside of Microsoft's own applications. I do believe that as Longhorn and Vista become more "deployed" that Microsoft will release a solution. But we should not hold our breath.

One of the best resources for learning about Microsoft's user assistance plans is Rob Chandler's website (Australia). HelpWare

Or, perhaps I misunderstood your question, in which case, please try again
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2007 Jul 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick & johndaigle,
Thanks for the warmth welcome. I have been following this forum for some time hoping to find out some clues about what lies ahead of us in the publication production field using RoboHelp.
As I said, I am seeking a "dotNET way" to deliver my online hep to our .NET applications. As our applications are web based, I decided to give a try on using the vertical Flash help skin (RoboHelp6). As output, this kind of interface generate a 2x framed window, with the TOC on the top window and the Contents below. The help toolbar is nice but a little bit bigger than I need. I am wondering if I can edit those buttons using Micromedia Flash and replace then in the project. I'm still trying to figure out how to call individual topics in the Flash Help (delivered as swf file). Any clues?

BTW:) Guys are you able to give more details on how to use the .NET API? What I need to test it? Is Visual Studio required?

Carlos Mills
Technical Writer
Grad Dip. Technical Communications
Grad Dip. in Systems Analysis
B.A. Social Sciences
FastTrack Pty Ltd
': +61 (03) 9225 9639
': +61 (03) 9225 9600
7: +61 (03) 9225 9601
*: cmills@fasttrack.net.au
": http://www.fasttrack.net.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 16, 2007 Jul 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Carlos.
First, on FlashHelp modifications, they are fairly simple to do if you are a Flash Developer or have someone who knows Flash.
I am not a proficient Flash developer, but I have successfully made my own minor changes by following the FlashHelp Software Development Kit (SDK). This can be found along this path of your installation:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 6\FlashHelp SDK

Secondly, with regard to the "DotNet Way" the only thing I know is what I discussed in my post above on 05/22/2007. I am a writer, not a developer so I have not personally created any .NET calls so I can give you personal examples (as MergeThis has). All the documentation and sample code in the Online Help of the CSH API should cover the most common help calls. Regarding your question about Visual Studio; it is a popular development environment, but to my knowledge it is not mandatory.

Also just because there is an API doesn't mean the developer has to use it. It's more of a convenience. I have found many developers have their own favorite ways of coding things rather than using APIs. Also because each help topic (whether WebHelp or FlashHelp) is just a URL, many .NET developers bypass RoboHelp's .NET API and elect to make their own calls using the techniques that are their own favorites.

I believe MergeThis (hi, Leon) has posted several items on the CSH subject from the point of view of a developer. I'd search for his posts, including the one above in this thread
I'm afraid that's the limit of my understanding at the moment.
Thanx,
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2007 May 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'd like to add a second vote of confidence for breadcrumbs. I've been asked to add a breadcrumb trail on many occasions. They work particularly well for policies and procedures to help users keep track their whereabouts.

I'm also sceptical about the comment "Help systems typically aren't like web sites". More often these days I get asked to add website like features to many of my help systems. A client asks for a feature to be added to webhelp that they've seen featured on a website. I don't think that is an undreasonable request and normally do my best to find a workaround in the help system. We only use RoboHelp in circumstances where we need to control and manage a lot of content (topics) but really don't have a problem with clients who want/expect to be able to add web features to their helpsite.

Just my humble thoughts and ramblings
Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos:

As Rick said, there's really no problem with .NET apps; simply call the URL as in Peter Grainge's tutorial.

With a merged WebHelp of 42 projects, we simply provide a text file (we call it form_path.txt) that lists individual lines for each of the application's forms (windows/screens) and in which child project they reside.

For example, AcctMainFrm.htm relates to the AcctMainFrm form in the application, and the line in the form_path.txt file reads:

AcctMainFrm, mergedProjects\crdhelp.

Speaking of merged projects, John, please stress to the Adobe folks that they should absolutely NOT mess with the current bulletproof merged WebHelp environment. It works, darn it, so don't fix it! And don't mention Madcap's treatment of merged projects to Peter, unless you've got hours to listen. :-)

Now, if Adobe could only add Advanced help, which you lose when going from single project to merged projects. Until then, I'll just keep "Zoom"ing along!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon

Well as you've mentioned it...

What I have asked for is:

1] Stop the false reporting of links from the parent to any child project.

2] Make it easier to create cross project links. Stop them being reported as external.

3] In merged FlashHelp, don't strip out the cross project links! Yup if the target is not found when generating, RoboHelp says this target does not exist and ever so helpfully corrects the link to <a href>. It may not exist in the source but it does in the output, I know what I am doing, don't mess with MY code.

I know there are some differences between our languages but I think the word you were looking for when talking about merged projects in Flare was maltreatment!

Not following you on "Advanced help..." in the last paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2007 May 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

That certainly looks like a promising list of possible enhancements. :-)

I've been putting off switching to Flare for a few reasons (for me, the user friendliness of the editor doesn't appeal) and have been hoping that Adobe would pick up on RoboHelp and develop it further.

RoboHelp's ease of use just seems to allow me to concentrate more on creating content and that has always been its major advantage.

Maybe I'm just getting lazy, and I know all software has its foibles, but spending time fighting with an editor to get the output to look and behave how I want is not where I want to be. Even the great RoboHelp kadov debate doesn't bother me so long as the output works, but, if they can get rid of proprietary tags so the code is more compliant - brilliant.

The X6 release came across as a first step but not necessarily a needed upgrade - the stuff they're talking about for the next release looks much more promising, and definitely feels like a reason to hang on with RoboHelp a while longer.

By the way, does anyone know if the X6 version still strips out meta tags from source when you produce output files? The feature list of X6 didn't prompt me to upgrade immediately, but X5 gives me a world of hurts with metatags, and that could actually be something that could get me to shell out some dosh for the X6 version rather than wait for what looks like a major new release.

Sorry for being lazy and not installing the trial to see, but I'm a bit tight on project time so if anyone knows I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

PS - something that made me laugh out loud this morning:

"One of the most interesting requests from customers at the STC Conference Minneapolis was for a migration path from Flare to RoboHelp. Clearly, some of the customers, who had migrated from RoboHelp to Flare, want to come back to RoboHelp."
http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/robohelp

The MadCap people seem very helpful, but some of their marketing comes across as too pushy, so that blog really made me smile. Maybe Adobe are almost 'too'big', but with the new release talk, it looks like things might be about to get interesting again.
:-)

Cheers

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp