• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

General Installation Error - Flash Player 12 on Mac.

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting this message on iMac 27" with 10.8.5 during the installation. Al previous version were updated on time and worked perfectly. I followed the steps suggesting to delete files in Library, restart and re-install. No success. Everything ends up with the same message.

The update file had a bit different graphic on install with the General Error Message at the end.

Flash Player Update error.png

The full install just says "Installation Failed."

Flash Player Installation Error.png

Frankly, ran out of ideas what to do...

Anybody can help? Will really appreciate it!

Igor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You came to the right place....

Your troubles aren't coming from Flash Player.

You're missing a file that was made visible by the 10.8.5 update (mach_kernel). Hundreds of thousands of Mac users all over the world deleted it, not knowing what it was. It causes this when it's missing.

Download this file: "Secrets" pereference pane

It'll allow you to see "hidden files" on your Mac.

1.jpg

And this one: mach_kernel.zip

It's the one that was deleted.

8.jpg

Install Secrets, and open your System Preferences.

2.jpg

Open the Secrets Preference Pane, and check "Show hidden files"

3.jpg

You'll need to press the "Quit this" button,

4.jpg

and restart Finder, by right clicking the Dock icon.

5.jpg

Then, place the mach_kernel.zip file in the Mac HD directory,

6.jpg

and unzip it. You should see a "faded" mach_kernel file appear.

7.jpg

Trash the zip file.

Reopen your System Preferences and uncheck "Show Hidden files".

Instead of quitting Finder and relaunching it, reboot your Mac.

Your Flash Player installer won't quit anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, You Rock!

It worked!

Do not remember deleting it, next time I have to be more careful I guess 🙂

Thanks again, you saved me a trip to Apple Store and lot of time!

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes.

Another satisfied customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mike M. This worked for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

I've been around the forums and seen you helping with this problem in multiple threads.  I have been experiencing the same general download error on my new Mac mini, OS X 10.9.2.  I'm certain I never deleted this file as I've only been on it for a couple of days.  I don't think the missing file can be attributed to users deleting it. 

However the file is there now, thanks for your fix, and all is installed and working correctly.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on 10.9.2, it should be intact as the Mavericks upgrade from Mt. Lion installs a new copy of it.

If you bought the Mac with 10.9, then it was there from the OEM install of Mavericks.

However, most ALL cases of it missing with 10.8.5 have been attributed to an inadvertent trashing of it because people simply didn't know what it was and it suddenly appeared in the Mac HD directory.

Not saying it was wrong to do that, but it happened. It was Apple's fault for "unhiding it".

Long ago, in a galaxy, far, far away, when I learned OS X, I was taught that the mach_kernel is like "kernel32.dll" in Windows. Another file people used to delete without knowing what it was. When I saw it, the first thing I did was open my UNIX reference and copy the hide file command to "put it back".

1. Login as an Admin user.
  2. Open Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities).
  3. Enter the following command, then press the return key:
    sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel
  4. Enter an Admin password at the "Password:" prompt.
  5. Quit Terminal.

Then I started seeing a flood of posts in the Apple forums about it. Shortly after that, they started here. That's when I installed a VM of 10.8.5 and made the files I use in the above post. It seemed the best and most immediate response to it.

Adobe and Apple have fixes for it now. http://forums.adobe.com/message/6115370#6115370

But this worked until they new FAQ went up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike

I have the same issue with Yosemite 10.10.2 and trying to install the latest Flash player.

I tried to follow this solution you provided, but I do not see or get the files from the links, if you can help on providing the ones corresponding to OS X 10.10.2 I will really appreciate. I will give it a try to fix that issue.

Thanks in Advance

Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines