• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to watch videos on my 10.5.8 macbook.

Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have tried reading close to 100 posts about how to get flash player to work on my computer, but have had no luck. I am running 10.5.8 on my macbook. I have not been able to watch videos on Chrome for a long time, now it is even almost impossible on Safari. I have tried downloading theFlash Player 10.3.183.90 and other ones suggested in posts that i have read, but then when I tried to install it it "quits unexpectedly". I am really tired of not being able to watch videos and of seeing the no plugs in sign. Anyhelp really appreciated! thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>About This Mac

Is your MB a PowerPC or an Intel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike M, thanks for your reply. It's intel. I have added a photo of some of my specs. Thanks!Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the archived version:

Flash Player 10.3.183.90

Inside that should be a few folders. One is named "10_3_r183_90".

Inside that folder is a flashplayer_10_3r183_90_mac_intel.dmg

01.jpg

Double click that and it will mount on your desktop, and open a window with the installer.

1.jpg

Right click the installer and choose "Show Package Contents"

2.jpg

Go to: Contents/Resources and double click the Adobe Flash Player.pkg file

3.jpg

The installer will open, ask for your Admin password, and it will install.

That's the install part.

Trouble is, a lot of websites won't work with Flash Playerâ„¢ 10 anymore. -Bad news.

The good news is: because you have an Intel® Core2™ Duo Mac, you can upgrade to OS 10.6 and you'll be able to run a LOT of stuff that 10.5 won't handle.

mac-osx-snow-leopard.jpg

Apple has it for $19.99, and they ship free. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

About the ONLY thing I'd recommend is a "bump up" of your RAM to 4GB. Snow Leopard will run smokin' fast with that. 

See: http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx for what they have. Depending on your specific MacBook (they have a system scan for compatibility and availability) you could get 4Gb for as low as $35 or, if it'll handle it, 8Gb for $95.  For $120 max... you'd have an almost new MacBook again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike M, thank you for all the info. I followed the instructions, and I am pretty sure I did everything correctly (as you were very detailed- thank you), however now when I open Safari it crashes (i had this problem in the past and had corrected it by reading lots of forums,can't remember how I corrected it) and when I try to watch youtube on Chrome it still says No Plug ins. So at the moment I can't use Safari at all (well, Youtube crashes it almost straight away, and other web pages crash within about 30 seconds) and Chrome still not working. Is that what you would have expected to happen? I'm really open to all advice on how to rectify this, I am keen to move forward! thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ps My computer is just a bit too old to upgrade. It runs very very well (touch wood!) and the battery is still excellent, (not bad for a 6 year old) but the plastic is all chipping off around the sides and it won't last too much longer. I tried this advice below and now I can actually watch videos on chrome as i can now click the box "run this time" which comes up after the "adobe flash player is out of date" etc. I'm happy with that!!

1. Type about:plugins into your Chrome address bar.

2. Once there, click " Details" in the upper-right corner of page.

3. Find where it says Flash (2 files) and under the 11.5 version click on Disable next to "Type".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines