• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Entry Boxes

New Here ,
May 21, 2007 May 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a form that needs to be filled in with text and then user hits a Submit button. Is there any way to evaluate each entry without pressing 'Enter' or any other keys?
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2007 May 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An answer to this one might get me out of a jam too. I've got two text boxes for the person answering the quiz and their badge number (more unique than their email address etc.)

I want to be able to put at the end of the quiz: "Well Done {PersonsName}" which I thought I could do (I'd called the inital text box "PersonsName") but all that appears on screen is {PersonsName}.

Am I addressing these variables / text box contents correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi muguk

The answer for you is no. Unfortunately there isn't a way within Captivate to allow entering text into a Text Entry Box object on one slide and later populating a different slide with the same text. I would also suggest you complete a wish form asking Adobe to add this ability.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8r
Hi muguk

The answer for you is no. Unfortunately there isn't a way within Captivate to allow entering text into a Text Entry Box object on one slide and later populating a different slide with the same text. I would also suggest you complete a wish form asking Adobe to add this ability.

Cheers... Rick

Ah .. bang goes recording their name for the quiz then (for now). It seems (to me) a bit daft to have this function (text boxes) within a piece of software that can be used to create a quiz, but then not allow you to view the contents of the text box afterwards in the same program. Will get the form filled in though as it's a much needed function for the personaliation of a quiz and the emails it generates afterwards etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again muguk

If you use a Text Entry Box object to record a persons name early on, I believe the name entered is among the data sent (assuming the E-Mail works - many in these forums have nothing but issues trying to use it)

I just created a little test of this. Here is what I received via E-Mail. I entered "Bobby" into the Text Entry Box.

I received an E-Mail attachment titled POSTDATA.ATT. Inside this file (when viewed using Windows Notepad) was the following information:

-----------------------------7d71d42ae0542
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="Results"

Core Data
"Status","Location","Raw Score","Max Score","Min Score","Time"
"failed","1","0","1","0","00:00:10"

Interaction Data
"Date","Time","Interaction ID","Objective ID","Interaction Type","Correct Response","Student Response","Result","Weight","Latency"
"05/23/2007","07:39:39","Interaction10090","Quiz10030","fill-in","dilbertarinoxx"," Bobby","W","1","00:00:07"

-----------------------------7d71d42ae0542--

I think the key to receiving this information is the Reporting Level set in the Project > Quiz Manager... dialog. I selected "Report interactions and the score". If I choose "Only report the score", I get this:

-----------------------------7d73b93730892
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="Results"

Core Data
"Status","Location","Raw Score","Max Score","Min Score","Time"
"failed","1","0","1","0","00:00:08"

-----------------------------7d73b93730892--

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MsScott and welcome to our community

Unfortunately, at this time there is simply no way to trigger an evaluation of multiple Text Entry Box objects with a single trigger event. However, it does sound like a very useful function and I do see others ask about it from time to time.

To alert Adobe to the need of such a function, please consider clicking here and completing a Wish Form.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah right .. so it's possible to get the details via the email just not use them as variables to display on-screen when needed (which is what I've requested in the new feature section).

Cheers for the tip Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again muguk

A few months back, some kind soul posted a workaround for this variable thing here in the Adobe forums. Fortunately, I snagged the files and have them avaiable. If you want, shoot me a private E-Mail to rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com and I'll be happy to share them.

I'd love to provide proper attribution to the author, but I've looked and looked searching the forums and so far have been unable to locate the post where I found them. I know the posts will become archived after some period of inactivity, so perhaps this was the fate of those I was looking for.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2007 May 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK .. expect an email tonight. Many thanks. Will help me make this first project a little bit more special 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2007 May 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got mail 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2007 May 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RIght .. probably me being dumb but I've put the two SWF files into my project (they appear in the Media sub-section within the Files list). I drag two copies of the TextInput.SWF file onto the Name & Badge number entry page.

But what do I do with them next? There's no properties that seem to relate to the SWF files (ie. setting up a name for the input variable or what kind of text I want). Am I missing something obvious or does Captivate think it's just some fancy bit of Flash animation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2007 May 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ah .. found a problem. I can't generate (only preview) with these add-ons as they require Flash 7 or higher and this work's PC only has Flash 6.

Gives me the excuse to get it upgraded to a higher version via the IT dept 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources