• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How come when I export my WebHelp, it will not load correctly in the Google Chrome browser?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to only be an issue with the Chrome browser. The help works in both IE and Firefox. Since Google Chrome is a very popular browser and many people have it set as their default, this is quite disconcerting.

I am using RoboHelp Version 9.0.2.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First make sure that you are up to date on your RH patches. Next search the forum for Chrome – you’ll find lots of discussion on how to tweak it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Where is the WebHelp when you launch it? Is it on your local C drive or is it on a Web Server?

I'm aware that Chrome has issues with running content from the local C drive, which is why I ask.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is stored locally. I actually work for a software company trying to deploy the help with our system. Many of our customers do not have internet connectivity so the local deployment is essential. However, it looks very tacky for my company when I have to say "oh Chrome doesn't work". Are there any workarounds for local help that you are aware of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there’s a few things that you can do – one is to upgrade your RH – newer versions have patches to counteract Chrome’s paranoia; I also think there may be a fix done by Willam van Weelden (http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/robohelp-patches-and-updates)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff. I will look into upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the help not be stored on your customers' own web servers? That's how we deal with that scenario.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not Peter – I’m in the same situation. One of our products is a LAN client-server app and the WebHelp is deployed in a folder on the LAN server. The customers don’t usually have web access (or want to grant their staff web access) so running it “locally” (according to Chrome) is all they’ve got.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Sort of wondering out loud here if the answer may be as simple as upgrading RoboHelp and using the WebHelp to CHM converter script? Then deploy the CHMs locally.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick – don’t be silly – CHMs are dead! Long live WebHelp! & HTML5!

Seriously – RH10 with the patches fixes Chrome intransigence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff - Believe it or not, according to Adobe research, a sginificant number of authors are still creating CHM output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not according to Joe Welinske of WritersUA’s 2013 survey - http://www.welinske.com/skills-and-technologies-survey-technologies/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and I also believe it was Joe that made the bold claim that RoboHelp was dead several years ago. Additionally, Peter Grainge is sitting next to me at the moment and reporting that on his web site, the topic of CHM not working on a network still accounts for one of his most often visited pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL – old technology dies hard! The software I work with most is still written in Business Basic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys hiding out at WritersUA West? Say hi to John Daigle & Matt Sullivan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fix for local Chrome on RH9. That's just not feasible. The only sure

path it to upgrade.

Have fun at WritersUA all.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yeah, John Daigle left this morning. I leave today. Saw Matt earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp