Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM12: Conditional text and Publish to Microsoft HTML Help

Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded and installed the trial version of FrameMaker 12 to test the new publishing capability. My test document has five conditions, including one I would apply to paragraphs that anchor graphics frames.

When I hide all conditional text, either by moving all conditions to the Hide text box or by applying the expression:

not "Condition1" and not ( "Condition2" or "Condition3" or "Condition4" or "Condition5")

and then "Publish" to Microsoft HTML Help, the resulting help file still shows the paragraphs I want hidden. The same thing happens if I select WebHelp.

What step am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your condiitons behaving as expected in FM12? I just tried to duplicate this and it's all behaving for me.

FM sample with conditions:

FM_pages.png

CHM with two conditions applied to hide the highlighted table rows and paragraph with yellow background (using all defaults with no modifications to the settings file):

CHM_conditionals.png

The arrows point to where the hidden conditionals are, and they're not showing up for me.

Perhaps try a simpler conditional case first and also detail the steps that you are taking for "publishing" the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

I found the sample file you used, applied conditions to some of the text, and hid all conditional text. My results were similar to yours.

Then I tried my sample file with the default settings file, and hidden conditional text stayed hidden.

Next, I tried my sample file with my pagination.sts, which starts a new topic at each heading. Hidden conditional text stayed hidden.

Finally I tried my sample file with my template.sts, my first attempt at changing the typeface, margins, etc. for help. This time hidden conditional text appears in the .chm file (doesn't stay hidden).

I'm not sure how much more of my time I can justify trying to get this method of single sourcing to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you may have stumbled into a bug with the sts files (these are simply zip containers that hold all of the individual settings files). Can you narrow down what the difference in the settings are between the sts file where the conditions work and where they don't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• defaultSettings.sts contains 121 files, 1264KB.
  • pagination.sts contains 122 files, 6896KB. The additional file is <test document name>.tmpt.
  • templates.sts contains 120 files, 6865KB. It has the <test document name>.tmpt file but two files (RoboHHRE.lng and System.stp), which are in the first two .sts files, are not in this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for reporting the issue.

We would like to investigate it.

Can you please share STS with us (Adobe) through bug report https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

And we will get back to you.

Thanks

Amit Jha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I submitted the bug report but couldn't figure out how to attach an .sts file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I see they’ve dropped the file submit part of that screen. Try sending an e-mail to tcs.support@adobe.com<mailto:tcs.support@adobe.com> with a link to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beverly,

You can contact Amit using the following in proper email form: amitjha at adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We got the .sts file.

The 2 .sts files differ in their templates.

template.sts has a “Show-All” Conditional text setting that is why it doesn’t hide anything.

Template.sts.png

While pagination.sts has “Show as per condition” that’s why it hides the desired text:

pagination.sts.png

Using the same template in both should give same results.

Thanks

Amit Jha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Duh on me! The help .pdf clearly states that using a template applies template settings without changing the source document. I just didn't extend that to show/hide condition settings.

Thanks to all who helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines