Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help importing a decompiled .chm file

New Here ,
May 24, 2007 May 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was recently trying to decompile a .chm file (following the knowledge base instructions) and then importing that file into RoboHelp. The file appeared to decompile correctly, but when I loaded the project into RoboHelp, many images were missing. Is there something else I should be doing or is this a known problem? I am using RH6.

Thanks,

Aaron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

See the topic on my site about reverse engineering. Maybe something in that will identify something in the procedure you are following. Images should not be an issue.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the images are stored in separate folder(s) without accompanying HTML-files. Due to this, RH just doesn't 'know' the image folders.

Try 'creating' the respective folders for the images from within RH in the HTML files section of the Project Manager. This should get RH acquainted to them.

Regards

---Dirk Bock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2007 May 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for the site references - the only working link in your reverse-engineering section is the same method I followed in the KB article. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working (maybe HH Builder is not generating the .hhp file fully).

Dirk,

When the .chm is decompiled, all the images are stored in the same directory as the topic files - I can't see any reason why they aren't being read into RoboHelp.

Is there a way to simply add the images into the Project Images folder within RH? Maybe that would fix the problem. The only way I can see to do it now is to manually insert the images back into the topics - something I really don't want to have to do.

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked all the links and they all seem to be working.

On the point Dirk made, if you go into Windows Explorer, do you see the folder with the images. If you do, then look in RH Project Manager and I suspect, as Dirk does, that you will not see that folder. If you then right click on the appropriate folder and create a folder with the name that already exists, RH will suddenly see all those images and show them in that folder.

So if the folder with the images is off the root of your project with a name of XXX, right click the Images folder in RH and create a folder called XXX. It is in reality there in Windows but RH is not picking it up.

I've seen this myself so I know that can work if the problem is what we think it is.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...

Ok, I tried a couple things:

1. Created the folder in RH per both of your suggestions.
Result: RH still not seeing the files.

2. Create a new Sub-Folder in the Project directory folder containing a copy of all the images and also created a folder with the same name in the RH Images tree.

Result: RH still not seeing the files.

In all cases the files exist in the expected folders when viewed in Explorer but only a subset appear in RH (the same subset in all cases).

My dir structure looks like:

c:\project_folder containing all files

with

c:\project_folder\project_images containing a copy of the image files

I have created a folder in the RH Image tree names project_images.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the help (and putting up with my lack of knowledge here).

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
OK so you are getting some images. The images in Windows Explorer that you cannot see in RH, can you find where one of them is used in a topic? What do you see in that topic? Double click the image and the dialog should tell you where RH thinks it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp