• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Broken images due to case-sensitive server - RH11

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RoboHelp 11. Publishing in WebHelp. Server Clinet OS Windows 8.

I'm facing a problem with the way my WebHelp is publishing. A couple weeks ago our company switched to a case-sensitive sever which will only detect uppercase file extensions. They switched over due to security reasons. I save all my images in Photoshop, which saves file extensions like .jpg in lowercase by default. Since our Help file has been around for quite a while it's built up a stable of images with both uppercase file extensions (.JPG) and lowercase file extensions (.jpg). Since the switch to a case-sensitive server environment, any lowercase .jpg images now appear as missing or broken links. We've tried just about every fix we can think of to get these images to show back up.

We went through and changed the file extensions to uppercase and then updated the .htm file that is linked to them. After doing this the preview looked good so we compiled. No good. The compiled version actually switches the files back. We completely erased the Compiled and Published folders and then re-published from the source which is correct. No good. Still comes out wrong. We did a find-replace for the whole project changing every instance of .jpg to caps and made sure the files were also correct. Republished, no good. We even went into Photoshop and fixed an image, changed the .htm file and recompiled. No good.

The only thing we can think of is if there is a config or log file that caches images names and changes them back once the WebHelp is published, but we can't find such a file.

(Below is a screenshot of one of our many pages with broken/missing images. The missing and broken ones are written as lowercase .jpg no matter what we do. The ones that show up are older screenshots which were saved as .JPG by another third-party photo editor.)

help-screenshot.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

When you look at the WebHelp Single Source Layout recipe settings there is an option to force all lower case file names. Have you tried that?

Take a look at the screen capture below. You may need to click it to see it at full size.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have that option unchecked as we need all file extensions to be uppercase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, sorry about that. I got the wrong end of the stick there.

Hopefully Willam will pop in here and advise that what you want is easily done using a script. If not, your only real resort is to do the renaming manually.

I'm a bit surprised at seeing the report about the generation process changing the file names because to my knowledge, the only time that should happen is if you used that "convert to lower case" option.

Too bad there isn't an option to choose whether things are converted to upper or lower case. You might want to suggest that to Adobe via the link below:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2014 Mar 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are various tools around that can be configured to change file names in various ways including the case of an extension only. I would guess if you used one of those Rh would continue to play nicely as it is on a Windows machine but the output would have the right case.

Test with a copy project or a dummy project. You might need to delete the CPD before reopening the project after renaming the images.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi paaron46,

You can try this link. This is seems to be the less complex one.

Hope it works.

http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/photoshop/batch-rename.html

Note: Since, you have Photoshop, Bridge would comy by default.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp