• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing Robo 6

New Here ,
May 23, 2007 May 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting ready to install RoboHelp 6. Installation instructions recommend removing RH 5. The problem is that there are several RH 5 files in the Control Panel. Should I remove all of them?
RoboHelp Office X5
RoboHelp Office X5.0.1 Update
RoboHelp Office X5.0.2 Update
RoboHelp for Word X5.0.1 Update

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TMSpats2

I know that things recommend uninstalling. However, I have version 6 running quite happily right alongside version X5. So if you aren't totally sure...

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thank you so much! That's what I will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2007 May 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Do you know if that goes the trial version of X6 as well? I'm working on a project in X5 and need to check a couple of things in X6, but as I only have access to my production machine right now, I'm a bit wary of trying to install another version alongside.

Have you come across any issues running two versions side by side?

Thanks.

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl. I know Rick runs both with no problems. I've had no problems with either the trial or full versions either. Just the usual caveat about backups applies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl and Colum

Initially during the beta of 6 (as a side note here, we all need to remember that the name is just "6" and not "X6") it was recommended that we uninstall X5 and install 6. As surprising as it seems, most, if not all of us were reluctant to do this, as we had work to do that involved using X5. So we all expressed our concerns to Adobe and guess what? They made a change that allowed both to work alongside each other.

I cannot say I've seen any issues with running both on the same machine.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had no issues running the two alongside each other and I think I would know if Rick had encountered any.

What you do need to do after installing RH6 is go to Windows Explorer and associate XPJ files with X5. The installation of RH6 will have linked that program and if you double click an XPJ file it will open in RH6 and then refuse to open in X5 later.

You will need to uninstall 1Step PDF. I haven't tried uninstalling RH6 to see whether or not X5 continues to work OK afterwards. I suspect it would and you could always uninstall it and reinstall it. However, no guarantees and as this is a production machine, you might want to think some more.

What are the things you wanted to check out?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks chaps - that is really useful stuff to hear.

Colum - my paranoia knows no bounds re back-ups - after destroying a major project one time, even my back-ups have back-ups these days.
I'm almost at the stage of buying duplicate machines so if one falls over, I can just place an image on to the clone :-)

Rick, I hadn't even noticed the name change (RH6 & not X6)! V6 of robohelp was probably the first one I saw back in the late 90s or 2000 and the first version I got for myself was RH7. Thanks for pointing that out though. :-)

Peter - that is a very useful tip about the file associations, thank you. Do you know why 1 step pdf needs to be uninstalled?

"...as this is a production machine, you might want to think some more."
That's what I thought, I'll probably feel more comfortable digging out an old machine and trying that first - just in case and all that.

"What are the things you wanted to check out?"
I have an X5 project that needs meta data, that means having to add the tags after production as Robo strips out anything I put into source and replaces it with:
<meta name="generator" content="RoboHelp by eHelp Corporation www.ehelp.com">
With close to 1000 pages in that project, it's is a royal pain.

Another project has major numbers of tables and conditional text and build tags, so testing imports of X5 projects into latest RH6 seems sensible, just been too far along in the project to want to think about it and if it works in the old X5 output, is there anything compelling to drive a shift to RH6?

Seem to remember mention of a problem with tables and conditional text and thought I read on your site about a patch... Haven't been spotted anything else about it though.

What I'm wondering is whether it is best to go through converting projects to latest RH6 in prep for the new version under development, or whether it is better to hang on and just do the conversion into the next release.

No doubt they'll be working on ensuring a smooth import from the current version to the new one, but if they are changing things under the hood and dumping all the kadov stuff, what's that going to mean for project conversion?

Wonder if table layout might be overshadowed by css in the next one?
I hope that converting to the next release won't be like bringing word docs into Robohtml!

Cheers

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl. In a previous incarnation I worked on Tandem computers. Two processors with one ready to fire in if the other stoped for any reason. Perhaps you should ask Adobe to ensure the next version supports their platform . Mind you, I think they got taken over by Campaq some time ago so you'd have to hunt around for a mainframe to put in your garage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...mainframe in the garage...
uhmmm - now there's a thought!
It could sit next to the freezer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why 1 Step has to be uninstalled but I'm sure it will prompt you to uninstall and refuse to continue unless you do.

RH6 installs Acrobat Elements. When using X5 you will have to create a Word document and then send that to Acrobat.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH6 installs Acrobat 7.0 Elements to serve 1-Step. You might have an older version previously installed.

Incidentally, you can launch Acrobat 7.0 Elements separately and work from there (rather than from Word). It has traditional directory navigation plus drag-and-drop conversion into its own window or onto its desktop shortcut.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q - I have an X5 project that needs meta data... ...With close to 1000 pages in that project, it's is a royal pain.

A - Not something I have to do but I doubt it has changed. How do you go about it at the moment?

Q - Another project has major numbers of tables and conditional text and build tags...

Seem to remember mention of a problem with tables and conditional text...

A - The problem is described in Snippets and that points to the patch that solves the problem.

Q - What I'm wondering is whether it is best to go through converting projects to latest RH6 in prep for the new version under development, or whether it is better to hang on and just do the conversion into the next release.

A - If I could see into the future, you think I would be working?

Q - ...dumping all the kadov stuff, what's that going to mean for project conversion?

A - See previous answer.

Q - Wonder if table layout might be overshadowed by css in the next one? I hope that converting to the next release won't be like bringing word docs into Robohtml!

A - Don't know about tables but I doubt they have anyone with a sufficiently twisted minded to make it that difficult!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks - got the dll files.

"A - If I could see into the future, you think I would be working?"
Just wondering 'out loud' rather than expecting you to know something like that.

Previously, I've always tended to get releases as they come out so have not had to consider the need to import from versions prior to the previous incarnation. Hopefully there'll be a beta to play with before the end of the year.

"A - Don't know about tables but I doubt they have anyone with a sufficiently twisted minded to make it that difficult!"
I hope you're right... it would be a fiendish trick to play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp