4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 10:39 AM by mrwizzer2

Flash CC HTML5 Canvas Crashes while publishing large WAV

Rolf Ruiz

In a project I have some wavs. They were small and were encoded properly to mp3 on publish.

Then I added a larger wav ( 64 seconds ) and Flash Crashed on publish.

I tested the same wav file on a normal AS3 document and it got encoded properly in the SWF.  Then tested again the same Wav on a blank HTML 5 Canvas FLA and crashed again.

At the end I encoded this Wav into MP3 in a 3rd party software and imported it into Flash and everything is OK.

I tried ot import this wav file into flash since it's a loop and Wav files encoded in SWF documents produce gapless loops.

• 1. Re: Flash CC HTML5 Canvas Crashes while publishing large WAV
          moccamaximum Level 5

only reason I can think of is s the filesize and the fact that wav is a non-streaming format.

Javascript has none of the internal compression algorithms that make working with uncompressed audiofiles possible,

so when it tries to load the audiofile (which is probably 60 MB) without a preloder (which you don`t need in the flash version because its converts automatically to mp3)

that could cause the crash.

Just a guess, though

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash CC HTML5 Canvas Crashes while publishing large WAV
            SujaiS Adobe Employee

Sounds are exported as MP3s. MP3 sound files are not supported in all browsers. You can manually add ogg sound files for broader support.

Sounds are limited by the restrictions on audio in the browser. See the SoundJS documentation for more details.

However the crash is a bug and I'll get this logged.

Thanks,

-Sujai

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Flash CC HTML5 Canvas Crashes while publishing large WAV
              Rolf Ruiz Level 1

@moccamaximum I'm not trying to run a wav with JS. Flash can export Wav to MP3 in a HTML5 Canvas project, the problem is it crashes with larger files.

@SujaiS Thank you for loggin the crash.

In regard of the .ogg comment. I already do that (convert to .ogg with Adobe Audition, and edit the Manifest object to change these strings "sounds/mysound.mp3" to "sounds/mysound.mp3|sounds/mysound.ogg").

But it would be awesome if Flash could do this automaticaly since everytime you export the project, the JS file is rewritten... so editing the output JS everytime you export the project is an extra step in the workflow.

Thank you! n__n

Rolf/

• 4. Re: Flash CC HTML5 Canvas Crashes while publishing large WAV
                mrwizzer2 Level 1

I wholeheartedly agree, Rolf, Flash really should automatically include the .ogg support since it's required for cross-browser support.