• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Message= x Cannot find the HTML help browser installed on your system.

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I cannot seem to find the solution for the error message I get when trying to generate a layout in Microsoft HTMl Help (Primary Layout). I am using the trial version, but it didn't seem to be an issue for anyone else in my class that was also using the trial version.

The error message states, "Cannot find the HTML help browser installed on your system."

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a problem with the installation of RoboHelp on those machines. When you install RoboHelp, it installs the necessary files to view a CHM.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing recently happened to me - no problem for years running RoboHelp8, then 'cannot find HTML Help Browser' out of the blue (following download of new RoboHelp demo - though I'm sure that is unrelated)

only working solution I have found on the internet is a complete reinstall - I do not have the original discs

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you able to open and display a CHM file?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Checked that and reregistered the relevant files just in case. Also checked file associations and they are kosher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'd try simply installing the HTML Help Workshop. It will likely report that a newer version is already installed, but don't worry about that.

Download it from the page linked below:

Click here to view the page

Give that a go and let us know what happens.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded and ran htmlhelp.exe – seemed to install fine. No change to RoboHelp, still can’t find HTML help browser.

Trying to free up corporate cash to get an upgrade – a pricey solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, perhaps back up just a wee bit here.

Please describe the events that lead to seeing the message.

Open RoboHelp

Do this

Do that

BOOM! message appears

Out of curiosity, did you close RoboHelp before installing HHW? If not, have you tried restarting it since?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open RoboHelp

Open project

Double-click Microsoft HTML Help

Click Finish

Boom – message appears

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the camera icon in the web interface to show us “boom” screenshots ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for fun, I downloaded the new RoboHelp 11 demo and tried to compile a project in Microsoft HTML Help (Primary layout) – same message.

It pops up as soon as I click the Generate Primary Layout button.

So much for the upgrade being a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m still betting something in your environment is messing up your installation of RH – I just played around with a dummy project in RH10 whose primary was set to WebHelp, changed it, saved it, closed the project, reopened it again and double-clicked on the HTML layout – no boom – then did Save & Generate – still no boom.

I’m running Win7 Pro 64-bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gents

I've reached out to Adobe hoping they might have a look at this thread. Hopefully they will either reply directly or reply to me so I can update.

Keep your fingers crossed! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very much appreciate the efforts to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Win7 Pro version 6.1. I was on IE9 and rolled back to IE8 in case that helped.

It did not!

Thanks for your efforts to assist.

tk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for giggles – what’s set up in your RH > Tools > Options – File Association settings for Associated Programs and HTML Editors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.JS Notepad

.xml Notepad

.HTM MSOXMLED.exe (iexplore.exe)

HTML Editors

Design View

Notepad

Internet Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing the HTM association; do you have any wording next to the Design View or HTML View parts of the “editors” screen? My Design View has internal and default beside it and my HTML View just says internal beside it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Design View

Removed HTM association – no joy.

Hoping the folks at RoboHelp will weigh in as the corporate upgrade hinges on getting this sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does your Design View and HTML View have beside them? – I think if you’re trying to show angle brackets, the forum is treating it like XML and stripping off whatever is inside of them. Just describe what’s there or post a screenshot (use the camera icon in the web interface).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

roboHelpassociations.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it – I’d try removing the Internet Explorer line and set the editor option to “use default” & see what happens after you exit & come back in again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - did that. Closed RoboHelp and reopedned it. Ran Microsoft HTML Help from Single Source Layouts. No fix!

Here's what it looks like now:

roboHelpassociations.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Welcome to Adobe Forums

Please share your contact information on tcssup@adobe.com and I will contact you to gather more information about this issue.

Thanks,

Vikram Gaur

Adobe Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Captiv8r wins the prize for finding the answer. My fault for failing to execute it fully.

Once the program above (#5 in the thread) has been downloaded and installed, right click on a chm file and select Open with and select Microsoft HTML Help Executable.

That is what RoboHelp is looking for.

Thanks to Vikram for walking me through the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp