Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with choosing "never check for updates" during installation

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been deploying flash to our computers (win 7 clients) with the option to "never check for updates". I have been choosing this option because we employ user account control in our environment and the updates were prompting for a username/password.

Well I learned of silent update yesterday and deployed a custom mms.cfg file via group policy. Today I checked and flash hasn't updated on the computers in question. The issue, I discovered, is that when I selected "never check for updates" the flash update service and task were not installed!

Does that mean I have to reinstall flash on every computer where I installed flash with the option "never check for updates"?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

I solved it.

Run FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe from a command line located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\ (64-bit) or C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\ (32-bit) with the -install switch.

This installs the flash player update service and the flash player updater task.

Thank you Process Monitor!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further testing has shown me that if I enable auto updates manually through the control panel applet, the flash update service and task are installed.

I only have options in my mms.cfg file to enable auto update and silent update. Is there more I can add to it that will install the flash update service and task as well?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sum up my issue:

Deploying mms.cfg file through group policy to enable automatic updates after initially disabling during installation.

Settings in mms.cfg file are successfully enabling automatic updates. However, the updater service and scheduled task are not being installed.

There doesn't appear to be a option for mms.cfg to enable the service and the task. Is there possibly a seperate script I can create and run to accomplish this task?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I solved it.

Run FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe from a command line located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\ (64-bit) or C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\ (32-bit) with the -install switch.

This installs the flash player update service and the flash player updater task.

Thank you Process Monitor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines