• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suggestions for FrameMaker 13

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed the deadline for participating in the feature survey that Adobe sent me recently, so I put up a post on my blog about things I'd like to see in FrameMaker 13. Some of them are extensions of what I wanted to see in FrameMaker 12 (only a few of which were taken care of).

The post is on the long side so I'm just going to link to it here:

http://www.soltys.ca/blog/2014/03/suggestions-for-framemaker-13.html

I will summarize my three major requests:

• Seamless import and export of Microsoft Word files and content. Word is dominant in offices today and has been for years, but using content provided in Word format is a nightmare.
  • Better marker handling. Marker handling in FrameMaker is primitive. We need exapndable/collapsibe markers, editable in place, and a proper marker editing dialog.
  • A snapshot feature akin to that in Thirty Six Software's SmartDocs Word addin. Set variable values, conditional text settings, input and output directories and output formats and save them as a single object so we can switch between multiple views of a book with a single click.

As much as I love FrameMaker, and I've been using it for 20 years, it's getting harder to justify it, especially because of my first point.

Regards

Keith

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I also add putting a switch into the PASTE function so that you can set the default Paste as "Paste as Plain Text".

95% of all PASTE operations I do require this,and going through the inane choice box is a constant irritant.

Yes, a Frame user for 14 years, I really like using Frame, but wow, let's catch up with the times, shall we...

Thanks for listening.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paste hierarchy is controlled by the setting in the maker.ini file for:

ClipboardFormatsPriorities=FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT, TEXT

just move the "TEXT" component to the start of the list, i.e.

ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, UNICODE TEXT, FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP

and you';ll get what you want. FM's always worked like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, but it still doesn't work...Still inserts as formatted text.

And... Frame Interchange Format remains at the top of the list:

Frame Paste.JPG

Ready to keep going after it if you have any more ideas.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget to close FrameMaker before making changes to maker.ini.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh you bet.

In the same way that it's not advisable to leave power on when you're removing circuit cards... (hopefully the reference from a past life is not too obscure...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're displaying is the Edit > Paste Special (ctrl + shift + v) option . The maker.ini setting affects the standard Paste (ctrl + v) operation only, which is what you were asking about in your query.

Also, the list items in the Paste Special window are selectable by character matches, so "ctrl_shift + v", then "t" and Enter will paste in pure text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and making that change (exactly as specified) in the maker.ini file did not change the default ctrl+v operation....It still pastes as formatted text, no matter what the source.

However..

."ctrl_shift + v", then "t"

THIS is very, very, VERY helpful. Thank you!

Too bad there isn't an updated, printable version of the old Quick Reference Card available online. (The last one I have was Publication # 9003 7318.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm..., works for me (except for internal FM content, which always is in MIF format on FM's own internal clipboard). I can copy and paste from Word and all formatting is stripped when pasting using ctrl+v.

Check the user-specific maker.ini in the C:\Users\<login name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\12 folder to see if there is a different specification there (as this maker.ini is read last and overrides the master one in the FM install location).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

except for internal FM content, which always is in MIF format on FM's own internal clipboard

Yes! This is the function I need to change to a text-only-without-formatting paste.

Imagine comparing for objects, A, B, C, and D. I will write the comparison as A does not have the features of C, however, D and B do... If you imagine inserting a fourteen-character part number in the place of each of these capital letters, you can see how the lack of a text-only-without-formatting paste function can get really tedious - especially when inserting into tables that use a different formatting. .

Thank you all for the shortcut, it helps tremendously!

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

Submit this request along with your use case(s) through the official channel: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm

Who knows, you might get lucky in the next version of FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DONE!

Thank you all very much for your help.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I would like is the ability to use book level attributes to set running H/F values in TOC, LOT, LOF, IX etc.

It's annoying to have to manually change the generated files when the rest can be set from attributes at the book level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines