Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading from RH8 to RH10

Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using RH8 and want to upgrade due to compatiblity with Chrome browsers,   I'm not that technical and get no assistance from our dev. group and took on the project from another employee that was let go.   I just need an easy upgrade.  Therefore, I think 10 would be more appropriate than 11 for my purposes.  I have a rather large help file but quite simple.  I don't use all the bells and whistles RoboHelp has to offer. 

I also read that I need to have RoboHelp Server to upgrade to 11.  What is that?  I use RoboHelp XML and publish to our internet server - is that the same thing? 

Is 10 still available? 

Your suggestions would be most appreciated. 

Thanks,

MP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically, once a new version is released, the previous version is no longer for sale. You can check with your local distributor - if they have a copy available, I'm sure they'll be happy to sell it to you but in general, unless they have a copy, you'd have to upgrade to RH11.

RoboHelp Server is not required - even if you publish to a local server - the idea is that if you want to use additional features (like collecting feedback and user information), then the RH server adds these extras. You can do fine with RH10 or RH11 to publish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I appreciate your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious as to why you think Rh10 is more suitable. Rh11 did not take anything away, except Rh for Word, and offers more. It will also be more likely to be kept up to date for browser compatibility which is your reason for changing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest I'm not sure - I was reading that I needed RoboHelp Server in order to upgrade to 11 (which Paula has responded as not true)  and that the interface was different from the other versions.  I don't want to sound like I'm whining but I only work on this part time when changes need to be made or we do new releases, and need something that's quick and easy to acclimate to.  If I know enough about navigating around 8 and getting the job done, will I be able to work with 11 as well, without a lot of retraining?  If so, I agree that 11 would be the best.,  I value the feedback of those who have been through the upgrades, which is why I posted the question and appreciate your responses.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paula is absolutely right that you do not need Rh Server. I don't know where you saw that Rh Server is required, it is an option if you want its additional features and if you were not using it before, you don't need it now.

The interface is different in the sense that the colours have been changed to improve contrast, it is not a whole new layout and I doubt you will have any difficulty adjusting. If you should have any difficulty, then come back here.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp