• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Cannot apply the new theme" error message

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago, my themes were working fine in Adobe Captivate 7.  I created a custom theme, and now I can still see the pre-loaded themes in the Themes Panel, but when I click on a theme, I get the same "Cannot apply the new theme" error message no matter which theme I choose, what project I'm in, or if it is a new or existing project. 

When I go to the Master Slide it shows no pre-sets either.

I checked my Adobe Captivate Theme folder and it looks like the only thing in there now are skins (although I'm not sure what was in there before).  I have no idea how everything just disappeared.  I've even tried to uninstall / reinstall the product and for some reason, it does not work.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

If you are on Windows, it's pretty easy.

Close Captivate

Right click the shortcut and look at properties.

Notice on the properties is a button to open the location. Click it and Windows Explorer opens.

From the location in Explorer, open the Utils folder.

Double click the CleanPreferencesWin.bat file. (note that you may not see the .bat part, depending on your Windows settings)

Now dismiss the dialog and restart Captivate.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You posted this also on a thread by another user.

When you reinstalled, did you first delete the Public Layouts folder, not the one in the installation folder of CP? Which OS do you use, I'm on Win7, and this is the path to that folder:

LayoutsFolder.png

You can still delete it now, when you restart Captivate it will be refreshed, recreated. Same question about Preferences....

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that, and it did recreate the eLearning Assets folder.  But I still get the same error.  Within that folder I see all of the themes...is it possible to load them in again?  Is it possible that they are trying to pull from someplace else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing I noticed today, when I open my Object Style Manager there are no previews - I'm guessing this has something to do with the themes missing, but just wanted to mention it.

ScreenShot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an observation here. The default caption style is currently "Transparent". My guess is that if you set it to perhaps Adobe Red, the preview would look different.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Rick, but it should show some Text in a black color. And nothing is visible in this Preview window. Something is really very wrong there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps time to reset preferences? I know Lilybiri asked about that but not seeing any indication you have done this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For resetting preferences, I'm not sure how to do that.  Is it in a different folder?  Here is the folder where I deleted the eLearning Assets.  And the folder did reappear after I reopened Captivate but I am still having the same issue:

ScreenShot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on Windows, it's pretty easy.

Close Captivate

Right click the shortcut and look at properties.

Notice on the properties is a button to open the location. Click it and Windows Explorer opens.

From the location in Explorer, open the Utils folder.

Double click the CleanPreferencesWin.bat file. (note that you may not see the .bat part, depending on your Windows settings)

Now dismiss the dialog and restart Captivate.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THAT WORKED!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much - you have no idea how thankful I am right now!  Thanks to you and to Lilybiri!  I am seriously ready to cry with relief - great help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources