• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I repair broken links that occurred during upgrade from 10 to 11?

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded 5 WebHelp projects from RoboHelp 10 to 11.  Everything went smoothly except for one project that is displaying a huge amount of broken links.  These appear to be for Index words and even Map IDs but the strangest are the ones that appear to be picking up the first few words of a topics.  For example: Copying_a_statement.htm#Select_a_statement_and.

Any ideas what may have caused this and how do I go about correcting the problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d be suspicious of wacky characters hiding in the text that threw RH off its game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, but I knew that the filename was invalid because the # character can't be used in a path.  I am basically trying to figure out why this happened and why RoboHelp is picking up Map IDs, first lines of topics and Index words as broken links.  More importantly, how do I correct this.  When I pull this project up in RoboSource all of the file names for the project's topics are correct and more important ...none of the items displaying under broken links appear anywhere in source control.  Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that the hashtag/number sign/pound symbol (#) CAN be used in URLs to reference specific parts of a page. That wasn’t the funky character that I was thinking of.

When you upgraded the project, did you check it out of Source Control first, then let it upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular project was not originally in Robosource, so this was the first time that it was added.  Our company policy prohibits us from doing any downloads/updates ourselves so we must rely on tech support to get it right.  What funky character were you thinking about?  When I double-click on a displayed item under Broken Links, a Topic References dialog displays.  If I select the Restore button, I get the following message, "The filename is invalid.  The # character cannot be used in a path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The # character can be used in external CSH calls to topics – RH not allowing it is a different matter.

I’m confused as to how you are operating – if this was an RH10 project outside of source control, then upgrading it and checking it into SC shouldn’t have any impact one way or another. Then when you say when you look at the project in SC, all links are fine?!?! Where are you working on projects? Normally, you would check out the project to your local C:\ drive, do your changes & check it back into SC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion Jeff.  This was a RoboHelp 10 project which was on my C drive and had not been put into Source control prior to the upgrade.  So I agree, there shouldn't be all of these broken links.   The project has now been added to source control.   I check out the project to work on it on my C drive.  When I finish it, I check it back into RoboSource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you’ve got two options as far as I can see – restore from backup & upgrade again (making sure that you’re all patched up in RH11) or repair what you’ve got in RH11 already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late to the party: these broken links were not there in RoboHelp 10?

I would advise to try the following:

1. Make a backup.

2. Remove the CPD from the RH11 project.

3. Copy all the map files (.h), TOC files (.hhk) and index files (.hhp)

into the RH11 project.

4. Reopen the RH11 project.

When upgrading, RoboHelp doesn't touch the map files, TOC and topics. So

it should be fine to copy them from RH10 into the project directly. But

always make a backup as it's better to be safe than sorry.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks William!  I'll give it a go and let you know how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp