Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader for Adobe Digital Editions 3.0

Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently use Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 in order to read epub books from my local library. Is there an add in that will read the book (audio) to allow a visually impaired person to listen to the book? If so I need instructions to make it work.  Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am Blackhorn33, and I am new here ; I apologize if I am not supposed to do this, but I am tutoring Senior Citizens and Senior Military Veterans in Basic Computer, Advanced, and Security(to help them avoid becoming a victim of Ripoffs ).

I found myself in your position recently, so I tried Windows Narator.  I am still working with Narator in my spare time, but being a regular on Microsoft since the Win 3 days, I started there.  I found NVDA, a free screen reader for Windows (Possibly for Mac also).  NVDA is not a "tiny or basic" program, it appears to be quiet a program, which requires a test and adjust approach to make it "YOUR" screen reader.  Good Luck, I hope this helps....

http://www.nvaccess.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have read posts online on NVDA and JAWS but I not knowing anything about the software, I dont want to accidentially load spyware onto the computer.  I am using windows and ultimately a Nook tablet (not HD). Barnes and Nobles tells me there is no such ap for the nook.

Is the NVDA or Windows narrator easy to use?  Do you recommend one vs the other?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you for helping senior citizens! There are so many scams out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome!  Through many peoples experiences that I witnessed, I developed a very bad taste for "GEEK SQUADS", and for the stupid term "Hacker", there is no such animal; there are only unhappy little people who do stupid little tricks, then get fired, then commit a crime by telling "THINGS" about certain aspects of the architecture to other "little, small minded people".

I developed a new Tutorial program, tested and perfected it on an 82 year old U, S. Army Secret Service Veteran, who had NEVER touched a computer before.  That was last September, in 7 months time he is unbelieveable, After 2 months, he had 3 email accounts, and all the bookmarks set up for "his" pages.

About a month ago the subject of a narrator came up, so I went shopping in my spare time. The first I looked at "might" have been one you mentioned, I'm not 100% sure at this point in time of the day, but it was VERY expensive. I even talked to a rep with the company, explaining the age and use factor, but they didn't budge.

NVDA was like ADOBE, these people are down to earth, and care about us.  In fact, THAT's why I am here, I owe these people, but they will say I don't.

You can play with Narrator, while you work with NVDA, because I honestly don't believe Narrator has to offer what you need or want.   You didn't say what Windows version you are running, but I am going to hope that it's Win 8.1, don't listen to anyone that says any less. Here is something to get you started with Narrator the right way, with a small bonus.  Oh, one more thing, do you keep a list of the shortcuts for Adobe Digital Editions by your keyboard?  I don't, I made cut-down rich txt docs, then write protected them, made a shortcut, so I have them on screen and ready while I research and read.  Keep me posted, and GOOD READING MY FRIEND!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/keyboard-shortcuts#keyboard-shortcuts=windows-8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still on Windows 7.

I believe JAWS is also a free software.

What part of the world are you in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2014 Apr 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like to apologize for my tardiness, a Lady that stole my heart 50 years ago finished her  job and went ahead of me to get our next place ready.  I am so lost without her.  I finally realized how upset she's going to be for me not helping or at least pitching in, This is my first evening back.

Let me show you what I bring to the table tonight my friend, http://www.freedomscientific.com/jaws-hq.asp

Now at this address I have only 2 versions available:

JAWS Purchasing Information

JAWS Professional: $1,095
JAWS 64-bit Professional can be used with 64-bit versions of  Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista®,  and Windows 2008 Server.
JAWS 32-bit Professional can be used with the following 32-bit  operating systems: all 32-bit versions of Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows  Vista,                                   Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Media  Center Edition, Windows 2008 Server, and Windows 2003 Server.

Add access for Remote Desktop, Terminal Server/Citrix: $200 (JAWS Professional only)

JAWS Standard: $895

JAWS 64-bit Standard can be used with 64-bit  Home, Home Basic, and Home Premium versions of Windows 8, Windows 7, and  Windows Vista.

JAWS 32-bit Standard can be used with 32-bit  Home, Home Basic, and Home Premium versions of Windows 8, Windows 7,  Windows Vista, and Windows XP Home.

Note: While JAWS supports  the Windows XP Media Center Edition operating system, support for Media  Center applications is limited to areas where Microsoft Active  Accessibility® has properly exposed adequate information.

That's what I found in my original search, but there are 2 demos is see: a free 32 Bit Demo and a free 64 Bit Demo

So thats what I' ve found dzrtblssm, OH, I'm originally from Sweetwater, TX. I live at the edge of Dallas and Mesquite, TX

Is there a reason you are still on Windows 7?

I hope to hear from you Thank You!

Message was edited by: Blackhorn33

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines