1 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next 473 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2017 4:55 PM by johng20311454 Go to original post
      • 360. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
        Level 7

We don't actually get all the details on what Apple changed.  We know about several specific bugs, but in other areas Apple just says "improved".

• 361. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
          MattViewdata

Hi Bretperry and Chris

There are no improvments on this particular issue with OS X 10.9.2 finder and Adobe Photoshop doing its 'error checking' thing.

We are also on the Mac developer program reading the release notes on OS X there are some graphical improvements mainly new kext files to speed up graphics delivery to the display.

I wonder who can improve this situation, do we approach this from both sides ie submit feature requests to Apple radar as a bug report and also request Adobe develops the same file system as indesign implemented to Photoshop in future releases?

This is a real blunder for major desgin houses as Finder previews are essential to work flow.

Lets try and be creative about resolving this issue Apple / Adobe please.

• 362. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
            Level 7

Unless we can find a reproducible case, we can't do much with a RADAR report.

We've sent dozens to Apple about similar issues - and they have fixed some of the bugs, and we've worked around others.

The first thing to do is verify that no applications have the file open -- frequently we find that other apps (InDesign, Quark, Finder, FinalCut) do have the files open, in which case you want to file a bug against those applications for holding the file open when they shouldn't.

• 363. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
              MattViewdata Level 1

I can provide a reproducable case. How about this.

Any two macs on OSX 10.9.2. On mac one enable file sharing SMB / AFP, public folder.

On mac two open photoshop create a file with a square shape or image placed on one layer. On Mac two connect to server - Mac one public folder and Save this photoshop file to Mac one - public folder. Everything should be fine at this stage.

On mac two create a photoshop action that rotates the shape / image and then does a save file. Next open finder and make sure Finder column view is enabled with icon preview and that you have connected Mac one publicfolder in view.

On mac two repeatdly hit the action play button whilst viewing the icon preview. You may be able to save it between 1-50 times before the file is deleted and error appears.

could not save because write access was not granted

• 364. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                thysonsacclaim

Hi Chris et al,

My name is Adam and I am in charge of the network at our design agency. We have run across this issue several times and I wanted some clarification as to steps I should take and what I can relay to my team.

In our office, we are running a Linux Server based on Debian which shares its RAID 10 array via SMB using SAMBA. Two client machines seem to get this issue more than others and it is quite frustrating for them. They are both on Macs. However, in the past we have had two other servers which were Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2, respectively. In both cases ExtremeZ-IP was used in the Windows server for hosting. The issue happened on those servers as well. And it also happened on another distribution of Linux (Mint--also Debian-based) that was used for testing the use of a Linux server in our environment before we finally migrated over to the new Debian server.

We use user name and password authentication on this server. However, I am absolutely positive we do not have a permissions issue. All members of the group have Read/Write permissions and this is enforced with bindfs in case any stray files should get into the shared folder. Bindfs essentially 'mounts' the folder you wish and enforces whatever permissions you would like. The only bit not changed is the original owner, but this doesn't matter as all members of the share group have the ability to write to all files owned by anyone else.

I would like to confirm the following things so I can take the appropriate actions (I have read the entire thread, but I want to make some things clear):

1) The issue can/does occur regardless of the type of server used (Mac, Windows, etc)

2) The issue can/does occur no matter what sharing protocol is used (AFP/NFS/SMB)

3) The issue can/does occur only (or mostly?) when the Finder Panel is open (possibly only when the file in question is selected)

4) The issue will cease or occur less frequently with previewing turned off -or- if a user does not select the item in finder or does not have finder open

As I have already confirmed the following:

1) Occurs on Linux Servers with SMB

2) Occurs on Linux Servers with AFP

3) Occurs on Windows Servers with SMB

It is quite a frustrating issue to deal with. I am not blaming you and I am not blaming Adobe. I am a programmer (that is my primary role here) and I am aware that you simply do not have control over every interaction you make with the OS or other thing you are interfacing with.

That said, I must do what I can to make my team happy. I had considered moving to NFS until I read reports by some that the OS and protocol of the server do not even matter. If this is the case, I would like to be able to verify this so that my team is aware that 1) Adobe is aware of the issue and 2) The issue is caused by OS X and 3) The issue will not be fixed by moving to another Server with a different OS / Sharing Protocol.

Thank you Chris for your help with this issue and the work you put into the Adobe Product Line.

Adam

• 365. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                  Level 7

What you (and Matt) are describing sound exactly like the Finder previews are holding the files in the folder open when they should not be.

If that is the case, then the file server protocol would not matter -- the Finder is going to keep the files locked, regardless of the server type.

Yes, we are aware of this problem with the Finder, but haven't been able to reproduce it repeatably enough for Apple to investigate (they keep kicking it back as "can't reproduce").

1 person found this helpful
                  • 366. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                    thysonsacclaim Level 1

Chris,

Yes. I just got to the office this morning and tested the Finder Preview bug. It is indeed the Finder holding the file open. I reproduced it over, and over, and over, and over again. It seems to only happen when the file is selected (ie generating a preview).

So I can relay to my team that, so long as they do not have a preview open, they can save just fine. I was a bit worried that we might have a server issue or that maybe permissions were changing somehow before bindfs could correct them (although that's terribly unlikely--bindfs is a bit slow, but not that slow, and the permissions of all files start the same, bindfs is just there to ensure they never change).

I am not terribly familiar with Macs, but as a Linux admin I do have working knowledge of all UNIX/UNIX-Like/POSIX systems. This brings me great relief because while the Linux server sorted out a lot of things that the Windows (bleh) server had problems with, this bug persisted. To my knowledge, we never lost any files like some have noted. This may be because everyone here either tries again, or saves to the Desktop and then manually copies over the file on the server. I am really not sure because I had tons of problems repeating the issue.

Thank you,

I will post here from time to time to let you and others know the status of this bug in our environment as I did not see any others running under a Linux server (shouldn't matter, though). Even though it seems to be on Apple's side, it seems to mostly if not only happen with Adobe products (I assume because of the error checking--it sees that the file is open and cannot guarantee a safe save and so stops?). Also going to see if I can submit a bug report somewhere, but I'm sure something is already open, and I'm sure it will be inconsequential.

• 367. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                      hilarykl

My daughter has lost all her final versions of work for her exam

She has photoshop 11, back up on external hard drive and two  systems on two separate laptops, windows 7 which she reverted to when photoshop kept closing in new windows 8

we re-installed photoshop twice

we have windows defender virus check

she pressed save and save as as she went along

half the files from two days of work disappeared

we tried to get them back and simply clicking save deleted another file in front of our eyes

the lock sign has spontaneously appeared on some

the technical expert from the university has tried to get them and unable to, we have used special soft ware to look in temporary, temporary deleted, recycle, deleted/deleted

she has some print outs to scan in and size up for some of the projects but obviously its poor quality

some other students on her course have suffered similar loss

This is as serious problem and they are doing all nighters to try and recover from to get in for deadline, despite worried parents saying not t do so!

Is any one at all able to help

Any thoughts welcome

• 368. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                        Evil Lair Level 1

Just another follow up for my situation; I've since moved to a new Mac Pro with 10.9 and have not once seen the problem come up. I'm using all the same exact software from my old machine, the only difference being Mac OS 10.6 vs 10.9.

However I have had a new problem arise but it isn't anywhere near as severe an issue. Now sometimes when I save a file on the server I get this message: "The disk copy of "filename.psd" was changed since you last opened or saved it. Do you want to save anyway?"

I know for a fact I am the only person accessing that file, and it comes up when I'm saving multiple times a session with the file open, even just a few minutes apart. I'll see if 10.9.3 fixes it.

• 369. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                          Evil Lair Bear Level 1

Another small update: using 10.9.3 on a new Mac Pro and Photoshop CC 2014 I had this pop up again. It's only happened once but the problem is apparently still lurking.

• 370. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                            rataosinho

Hey guys, how are you?

I'm still experiencing this problem pertinent.

Any application that tries to save the shared directory on my server, it generates the error permission.

I've tried changing the communication protocol for this function, because the OSX10.9 SMBv2 uses by default and that generates this bug as described in this article (http://cammodude.blogspot.com.br/2013/10/os-x-109-mavericks-workaround-for-smb.html).

I saw a guy comment about disable function SMBv2 and v3 directly on windows server (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547). I am setting this test on a lab, return if you have news.

Finally, someone successfully to solve this problem? Any news from Apple?

Any help or solution would make me happy.

Good luck to all!

• 371. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                              BREE315

Have you found a resolution to this??

I read through the answers but nothing seems to be working for me.

"Could not save as copy because write access was not granted"

• 372. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                keyboardsilliness Level 1

Let me say that this has NOT been answered for those just coming… Because the first reply is says answered.

I have try AFP and SMB and both on and off… Still same problem.

network env… mavericks server, 10 clients from 10.6.x and 10.7… cs 3-5… all is fine..

Just installed Yosemite Client with cs6.. I am now experiencing the issue.  No other application is having write access not granted with the exception of 10.10 CS6..

I have tried turning on and off previews.. kill time machine… anything that may be touching the file.  still no go..

For Adobe to say " we don't support server" solutions is not living in the real production world.  An artist, at the very least should be able to open a file on a server, do a crop or some other simple adjustment and do a save.  It should be  that simple.. but no can do..

Adobe, would you please apprise us as to where Adobe is on this issue.  What is the latest update?

Thank you,

vix

• 373. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                  stuarta99

Is this still an issue with mac servers?  Have a client who is running a Win 2008 box and gets the error and looking at moving to a mac mini solution with Thunderbolt 2 storage

• 374. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                    OldBob1957 Level 4

keyboardsilliness wrote:

Adobe, would you please apprise us as to where Adobe is on this issue.  What is the latest update?

Thank you,

vix

Just so you know, this is a user-to-user forum. Some Adobe folks do stop by on occasion, but don't hold your breath.

In an effort to answer to your question, however; you may or may not have seen this:

Illustrator support for networks and removable media

--OB

• 375. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                      keyboardsilliness Level 1

The problem we are having is strictly PHOTOSHOP..

I also tried creating a 2nd acct on mac client.. still same issue.

• 376. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                        newheads.com

Hi, any solution in sight? we have this problem brand new since we updated to yosemite and mac os x server 4. It is only Photoshop CS5.5 wich brings up this problem. We have some macs accessing the server every one has the same problem.

• 377. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                          newheads.com Level 1

the massage is: Konnte "Unbenannt-1.jpg" nicht speichern, weil kein Schreibzugriff erteilt wurde.

The file is invisible/deleted afterwards. If you save as it will work.

• 378. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                            Level 7

As already explained several times in this topic: the problem always turns out to be the permissions, the server, an OS bug, or the disk.

Photoshop is just reporting the error that it gets from the OS, and the OS really thinks that you do not have permission to save the file in that location for some reason.

• 379. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                              newheads.com Level 1

Hi Chris, Ok but what is the fix. Reinstall OS X? Fix Access rights? Thank you Johann

• 380. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                Level 7

Yes, you need to fix the permissions on the location in question.  Sometimes that means fixing permissions on the entire drive.

And sometimes this happens due to permissions issues on servers, and in the past has happened due to bugs in the OS (which were fixed a while back).

• 381. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                  Melanie @Laropin

Is there an answer to this yet. The answer marked correct at the top of this forum says to upgrade to 10.8. I'm on 10.10 and still having this issue with photoshop. I really need to use photoshop and find it incredibly frustrating that there is no support for this issue.

• 382. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                    Level 7

Yes, it has been answered dozens of times, including in the post right before yours.

• 383. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                      Melanie @Laropin Level 1

Chris, how is that an answer. The complaints in this thread identify that permissions are set to read and write (which mine are and always have been). Is there something more that needs to be done? If so, kindly identify what it is. Many thanks.

• 384. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                        Level 7

Please read the previous responses...

The permissions are NOT set to allow you to read and write - which is why you are getting an error telling you that the OS says you don't have permission to write in that location.

You have to fix the permissions on the location where you are trying to save the file.

In some cases, the permissions issues were due to OS bugs, and server bugs - but I think those were fixed a few years ago.

• 385. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                          Melanie @Laropin Level 1

Chris,

There are 384 posts in this thread. Which particular ones do you identify as helpful.

My photoshop permissions are marked as read and write. Are you suggesting that despite this, they are not actually set as displayed? If you could identify (by post number) which of your posts you suggest as useful, I'd be happy to seek support by referring to them. Of the 50+ that I have read, none have yet proved helpful or useful.

Many thanks

• 386. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                            Level 7

Start by reading the staff and host replies.

Photoshop permissions mean nothing -- YOU need permission to save in the directory/volume that you are trying to save to.

The OS is giving a permissions error because you do NOT have permission to write to that directory.

It's very simple - if you don't have permission to write in the place you are trying to write a file, you will get an error because you don't have permission to write there.

To fix that, you change the permissions, or save to another location where you do have permission to write.

• 387. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                              Melanie @Laropin Level 1

Chris,

Which particular 'staff replies' do you suggest are useful?  You will see from posts as recent as number 372 that users of this forum have not been able to identify where the answer is apparently set out.

Saying that "it's very simple" is ignorant. This question is being asked (so many times) because it plainly is not simple. I have full permission on the finder directory that the document is being saved to. I can save every other file type to that directory - however photoshop throws an error.

If you could kindly identify (by reference to post number) the staff entry that addresses this problem, I'd very much appreciate the support for photoshop on mac.

Many thanks

• 388. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                Level 7

It is very simple -- the OS says you do not have permission to write to the location you are trying to write to.  So you have to go fix the directory or volume permissions that are preventing you from writing a file in that location.  Until you fix the permissions so the OS will allow you to write files in that location, the OS will continue to give you errors about not being able to write in that location.

Photoshop does not throw an error - the OS gives an error, and Photoshop reports that error to you.  The OS and filesystem maintain the permissions, not the application.  The OS enforces those permissions, not the application.

• 389. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                  Melanie @Laropin Level 1

Chris,

My permissions on the directory that I am writing to has read and write permissions. Every other kind of file saves to it. Photoshop is the only file type (when saving for web and other devices) that throws this error.

If it were simple, surely it wouldn't be necessary to cross examine the answer out of this "support" forum.

If you could kindly refer me to the particular post (by reference number) where the answer is set out, I would appreciate adobe's support for photoshop on mac.

Many thanks

• 390. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                    Melanie @Laropin Level 1

No idea what the bombardment of emails hitting my inbox notifying me that 'reply marked as helpful' are supposed to mean. The first of them directs me to a message from more than 2 years ago telling me to upgrade to OSX 10.8 when I am currently on 10.10.  I'll look outstide Adobe's "support" forum for help with Adobe's apparent unsupported photoshop issue. This forum is a complete waste of time.

• 391. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                      kellyjdrummer3

I use external drives on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" 500g with 8g RAM. I never save locally, so, I format my externals as exFAT and the issue disappears. Not a guess, a solution. I use five externals and all of them save in Photoshop CS5 Ext. (Windows 7) and CS6 Ext. (Yosemite).

Format as exFAT. Worked for me.

• 392. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                        Melanie @Laropin Level 1

Thanks Kelly, I'll try that. A work around will have to do for now. Thanks very much for sharing.

• 393. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                          kellyjdrummer3 Level 1

No problem. It was a guess on my own, originally, but it works.

• 394. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                            leshassell

If the permissions are in fact incorrectly set, why is that, most of the time, the files save without issue? Why does the issue never occur with any other file except (at least in our case) one created by Photoshop?

• 395. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                              Level 7

To know that, you'd have to know exactly why the OS gave the error in the first place (fileserver API problem, real permissions problem, conflict with temporary files, OS bug, etc.).

• 397. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                                billlp

If you are using a Seagate drive-go to their site and download Paragon NTFS driver for Mac OS. I had the same problem, and this solved it instantly.

My seagate portable drive functioned perfectly with my IMac - when I tried using it with my MacbookPro, I received the same "write access was not granted" message. Seagate support really wanted me to re-format the drive for Mac (but since they couldn't explain why it worked on one Mac but not another-I told them I wouldn't do it) they finally came up with the answer I wrote above.

Hope it works for others

• 398. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                                  Kurt Lang Level 1

You could have saved yourself $20 by reformatting the drive for the Mac. You couldn't write to it because most new drives come preformatted as NTFS, which is for Windows. It is also a drive/file format the Mac OS cannot write to without a third party driver, such as Paragon. The other Mac must have already had Paragon or NTFS-3G installed, or it wouldn't have been able to write to the drive, either.

• 399. Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)
                                                                                    billlp Level 1

I don't understand the saving $20. Can a reformatted drive be used on both Mac and PC?