• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Open an Excel File

New Here ,
May 31, 2007 May 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started trying out the trial version of RoboHelp and I'm using WebHelp to create my help file.

In one of my topics I have a word document that lists on call information. I then have a link from a name
on that list to open up an Excel spreadsheet (I highlighted the text, then Insert Hyperlink).

I then: Save, Generate Primary Layout, then View Results.

That opens up the htm file (helpfile.htm).

My spreadsheet link is there (its at least underlined), but you can't click it.

Assuming I'm explaining all of this good enough any suggestions on what I'm screwing up?

If you need any more info, just let me know.

Thanks
Doug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug and welcome to the RH community. If you double click on the link in the WYSIWYG does it show the correct file name URL? Also it would be worth checking that you have added your Excel file to your baggage folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug

In addition to what Colum offered up, you may also wish to double-click the WebHelp layout and make sure the check box labeled "Add Mark of the Web" is NOT selected. When MOTW is present, links to things like Excel don't work as you would expect.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to 'attempt' to answer both responses...

If I'm doing this right, as far as the Baggage folder goes...I went to that folder (left pane) and added the path to an
Excel file.

I saved/generated, no change.

As far as wysiwyg, when my word file is opened (the one that contains the link to the excel spreadsheet), if I hold down
the ctrl key, I am able to click on the link and the spreadsheet does open.

Rick,

I can't find that box Add Mark to the web. What I'm doing is, double clicking on Webhelp (Primary Layout), which is under the
Single Source Layouts folder in the left panel. I next'd my way thru the boxes, but didn't see the MOTW.

Thanks!
Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Doug

If you double-click the WebHelp layout, it's normally found as the last check box on the dialog. Just above where you select the skin. Assuming you are using version 6, that is. As you mentioned you are using a trial version, I assumed you are using version 6.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug. Let me get this right. You have imported a Word file that contains a link to an excel file. When you say your "word file is opened" do you mean the associated HTML file created by the word file import is open? If not, can you explain what you have done to get the word file as part of your project? It sounds like you have a link to the word file and another to the excel file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,

First Rick.

When I get to the box where the choice of skins are, right above it, the choices are:
Section 508 Compliant Output
W3C Compliant Topics

I double checked RoboHelps Help...and it says Robohelp for Word 6, Build 99.

Colum...

Here's what I did (I 'thought', I'd start off simple, lol)...

1. Start Robo.
2. Select New Project.
3. The left panel contains all of the folders (I think its called Explorer).
The right panel is the default Helpfile word document that contains the 'welcome' message.
4. I added my spreadsheet to the Baggage folder.
5. Back at the word document, I just added a simple word 'excel'.
6. Then I highlighted 'excel', Insert->Hyperlink...and pointed it to my excel spreadsheet.
7. Saved it.
8. Generated it.

Everything opens up fine in IE. Excel is highlighted blue and underlined. But its not clickable.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it would help, here are two screen shots...

Image 1

Image 2

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check the code in the hyperlink to the excel file? Has it a reference to a local or network drive (e.g. C:\excel_file.xls)? If it has it needs to be a relative path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

One large looming issue I see is that RoboHelp for Word is being used. Not sure how that will factor into creating links of this type. If WebHelp is the primary desired output, my suggestion would be to switch over to RoboHelp HTML as the authoring envioronment and abandon Word. After all, if your output is going to be HTML, you may as well be using a tool designed for that purpose.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did wonder about that Rick but I have no experience of producing Webhelp from the Word interface. I'd echo your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Shazaam!

That was it! I switched over to RoboHelp HTML. Gee, I even saw the MOTW :)

Thanks you two, soooo much!

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp