Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Flash autoupdate install Chrome?

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am somewhat sick of the update process for Flash.  Especially having to opt out of Chrome becoming the default web browser and installing the chrome bar.  IF I select "Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended) - will the Adobe Flash Player automatically set the default web browser to Chrome and install the bar?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it will install Chrome or McAfee Security Scan.

THAT'S why I ALWAYS use the FULL installers:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

And I NEVER update automatically... NOTHING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but... it is kind of sinister to post a direct link to a file.  (these are the links above;)

(Flash is on version 12.0.0.77 and older versions have serious vulnerabilities.)

I have just been going to the Adobe site,

•      (as it macromedia seems outdated site could be a backdoor that has been hacked. Just try to pull up macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/_)
  • http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/     OR

• http://www.adobe.com/  under download and Flash player.. then unselecting Chrome.
  • Seems more secure.  Nowadays going to an outdated site could be a backdoor that has been hacked. 

I remember one used to be able to pull up a page,

1. it would check the version,
  2. if there was an update,
  3. they would provide the link right then and there,
  4. and then test it once installed.

I am sure your intentions are no less than noble and I would be willing to watch you install on your machine, over your shoulder... but....

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe IS Macromedia. They acquired the products and the webspace in 2005. It's just easier to update the file name and leave the domains the same.

NOTHING sinister about those links. They come right from here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

And I post them HUNDREDS of times a day here.

http://www.adobe.com/

Will get you the "stub" installer, which has the bundled software in it. The links I posted are FULL installers and have NOTHING but Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.    If anything I found this link:  http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html   which is what I wanted in the first place and should more easily accessible from the main adobe site!

I still did not see the links with macromedia...

Do you work for adobe?

What is blowing my mind... this morning I had issues with flash in firefox on youtube and a few other sites - it was halting things.

I updated flash in internet explorer and it fixed both IE and firefox.  Now I check flash in firefox and it needs to be updated.

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you work for adobe?

No... You could say Adobe works for me. Employees have "STAFF" after their name.

I'm a freelance web designer and I use Fireworks, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Audition, Encore, AfterEffects, Acrobat and Premiere to eek out a small paycheck once in a while.

As a rule here: If a link is from Adobe, Macromedia, Apple or Microsoft, you can trust it. There are SOME isolated links from outside sources (I have a few myself, but it's a benefit of having my own server space with 2Tb), but if it's from someone who has "+++" or "MVP" after their name, you can be pretty sure it's safe too. One doesn't get to that status by handing out bad advice or posting suspicious or harmful links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines