• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing .xpj file

May 31, 2007 May 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

I have a help project due today. The .xpj file is missing and I can't find a way to open my RH project to edit it. It is not in the most recently opened list either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the instructions on Peter's site from the top.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I checked out Peter's site but I don't see the CPD, HHC or HHK files mentioned. Is there anything else I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll keep digging. Peter and Rick are both online, so they may get here first.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t know if this makes a difference but anyway…

The reason that this project didn’t appear on my Most Recently Used list is because after I originally built it under version 5 (about two weeks ago). I just upgraded to version 6, which ( I assume) wiped it off the RH MRU list.

quote:

Originally posted by: Brian.Mccaffery
I'll keep digging. Peter and Rick are both online, so they may get here first.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick question, were the your project files in the in the program folders, ie \Program files\Robohelp\html?

Please say no.

brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. A separate drive, in fact.

quote:

Originally posted by: Brian.Mccaffery
Just a quick question, were the your project files in the in the program folders, ie \Program files\Robohelp\html?

Please say no.

brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am probably stating the obvious, but did you do an explorer search on the drive for .xjp?

Just had a thought, have you a recent test copy of the .chm file. You can decompile following Peter's instructions .

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I searched for the .xpj. Couldn't find a .chm file either. Just .css, .jar, .gif, .htm, .js, .log, .cab and .xml. files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Brian's advice, you don't need the .HHC or HHK files to open your project with the XPJ file. If you haven't found these files either though it makes me wonder if you are looking at the right place. What files do you have and what is your output type (e.g. CHM, Webhelp). BTW you are right is assuming that upgrading to X6 will wipe your project history list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Output is WebHelp.

I have an older version of the project that still works but I've added many topics since then. Can I use that?

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
To add to Brian's advice, you don't need the .HHC or HHK files to open your project with the XPJ file. If you haven't found these files either though it makes me wonder if you are looking at the right place. What files do you have and what is your output type (e.g. CHM, Webhelp). BTW you are right is assuming that upgrading to X6 will wipe your project history list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is all you've found you are going to have to create a new project, import all the HTM files and recreate any missing content. I'd be more worried about what is missing though as if the project files are missing, what else could be missing. I think you'll have to do a thorough search for ALL the project source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is the only version of the project you have you may have to use it and import the topics you have added since. It may be easier to see if you can find the missing files though. Is there a backup somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running down that path now. Thank You.

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Is there a backup somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to come in late but are you sure you are looking at the source files rather than the output?

Upgrading will have lost the history but it will not have deleted the actual source files.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I suspect that's correct - I'm only seeing the ouput and not the source files. I knew the upgrade shouldn't wipe any files, must have happebed some other way. I think my best option is retrieving a backup. It's a shared drive and I work for a big company so it will take a while.

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
Sorry to come in late but are you sure you are looking at the source files rather than the output?

Upgrading will have lost the history but it will not have deleted the actual source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp