• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will not generate primary layout

New Here ,
May 31, 2007 May 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a project and generated the webhelp primary layout several times early on to review my work and it worked fine. After continuing to work on the project I am now unable to generate the layout. I just get the following:

-------------------------------- Layout : WebHelp --------------------------------
Starting compilation...
Clearing output folder...
Starting compilation...

and nothing seems to be happening - no file is created? Any reasons why this may be happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jakirche and welcome to the RH community. There are many reasons why but let's start with the basic ones first. Is the project on a network drive? If so, move it off. You could try changing the output destination to another drive and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's on a local drive and not the network ... I'm guessing the size of the file is causing the issue. My project is is 54 pages - all of which are screen shots so it just may be taking a long time to chug through all those images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I clear up something? Are you generating webhelp from the RH for Word interface? The use of the word "pages" says as much. If so, try using RoboHelp HTML to generate your webhelp. If you already are, images, bookmarks, links can all effect speed of generation but 54 "pages" isn't that big really and if it generated before.... Have you tried changing the output folder to a different location on your hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, from Word. It generated correctly back when I had about 5 pages, but I didn't start checking it again until I had about 30 pages and since then it hasn't generated. I am in the process of trying a different output folder locally now. If that doesn't work, I'll give the HTML approach a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the images visible when you generate? If yes, that is the problem. Go to the RoboHelp menu in Word and change to TrueCode, then generate. It's a common problem.

If the images do not change to code when you do that, it implies you pasted them in. You must insert using the image icon or the menu.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pasted the images in and they were showing correctly when I generated the file initially. Now I'm not able to generate anything to view so I'm not sure if the problem is because of the images or not. I'll try inserting the images and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The problem was with pasting the images in the Word doc. It generated the layout initially, but then as the file grew it caused issues and would not let me generate a layout. I removed the pasted images and created and inserted the images in the Word doc and the project generates just fine now. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will almost certainly fix it. Initially with a small number of image, the generation could cope but as soon as you get a reasonable number in, this problem arises.

It is not a bug but down to the memory on your PC. However, don't rush out to buy more as I think you would need a massive amount to cope. It's not a sign of an inadequate PC.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp