• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VISTA and HLP

New Here ,
May 30, 2007 May 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VISTA is not supporting anymore the HLP files. RoboHelp comile the files to CHM but don't preserve the page setting. What should I do ?
THanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi YS002 and welcome to the RH community. We will try to help you but I think we need some more information. Can you define what you mean by "page setting"? Perhaps you can provide us with an example of the behaviour you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi YS002 and welcome to our community

While it's true that Microsoft is stressing that folks migrate WinHelp (.HLP) files to HTML Help (.CHM) format, you need to know that WinHelp files still "work" in Vista. Microsoft is simply making it more painful in order to coax users to switch formats.

Older WinHelp files (16 bit) should just run fine in Vista with no fuss. More recent WinHelp files (32 bit) will prompt the user to download the Vista 32 bit WinHelp viewer. This occurs just once. Once the WinHelp viewer is on the PC, the newer WinHelp (32 bit) files should also just run fine in Vista with no fuss.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2007 May 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for the welcome,
For example I have in .chm a numbered list like this :
1.xxx
2.xx
1.xx
but in hlp it's like this
1.xxx
2.xx
3.xx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2007 Jun 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thought I would reply (even though I am far from an expert) as I ahve ahd this problem also. I found that when I replace the embeded graphics with linked graphics for eg. {bmct graphicname.bmp} that the numbered lists righted themselves.

I don't know why, but this works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knowing the answer makes you an expert as far as the poster is concerned! The people you are perhaps thinking of as experts don't have all the answers as everyone works in various areas but not all areas.

The more people who chip in with answers, the better. If someone gives a wrong answer, someone else will catch it and the nice thing about these forums is it is done without belittling anyone.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi all

I would heartily echo my esteemed colleague Peter's comments here.

I often downplay my "Community Expert" title by saying something that goes like this. Y'all know what an "Expert" is, right?

Think about it. It's a two syllable word. "Ex" and "Purt" (sometimes pronounced as "Spurt". So let's look at the meaning of those syllables.

Ex=Has Been
Spurt=Just a little drip under pressure!

Happy Friday all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp