Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording Cannot be Heard

Jun 02, 2007 Jun 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. After using the HotFix, I can now record, using my headphones, but I can't hear the results. I can hear them if I unplug the headphones. Any suggestions? Jay
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 04, 2007 Jun 04, 2007
Hello All

Yes, indeed. It is a headset that should work both ways. After a bit of testing, I have concluded the headset must be at fault, as I can hear through an ordinary headset and without. Thank you for your prompt responese. Judith

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jun 02, 2007 Jun 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way a computer works, Judith. If a headset is plugged in, it intercepts the speaker output. In other words, you cannot - by default - have your cake and eat it, too.

It is that way on every PC that I know of, and the reason is because the person who uses a headset is normally trying to avoid disturbing those around him/her with the sounds from his/her computer.

A way around it might be provided by the speaker system, if it is external. It might be possible to plug the headset in at the speaker instead of the PC ... but keep in mind that this might disable the microphone on a boom mic/headset, which might need access to the "mic-in" port on the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2007 Jun 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I am a bit puzzled though. This sounds very technically inept. So how do most people record and test their work in Captivate? Is it more usual to have a stand alone microphone and normal speakers for the playback? Surely most people are not plugging headphones in and out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2007 Jun 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Judith

I interpreted your post quite differently than my esteemed colleague did. I suppose we will leave it to you to decide.

I inferred that you have a headset microphone plugged into the PC. You recorded, but did not hear anything through the headset when it was connected. Based on what Larry suggested, it would seem that he inferred you recorded, took the headset off and then wondered why nothing played through the PC speakers, when in fact the sound should have been playing through the headset.

The bottom line is that you should hear audio either way. When the headset is connected, you should hear audio through the headset. When disconnected, through the PC speakers.

In my mind, the looming question would be to ask if you hear any other audio when your headset is connected. Do you hear the normal Windows event sounds? If not, it probably indicates an issue with your headset and the PC, not Captivate.

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah so, Grasshopper! It may indeed be so that the subject has a second point of view. Honorable Rick has correctly interpreted my selfs unworthy thoughts. Now is to wait and see the case may better be described by herself Judith Venning . . . Jay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello All

Yes, indeed. It is a headset that should work both ways. After a bit of testing, I have concluded the headset must be at fault, as I can hear through an ordinary headset and without. Thank you for your prompt responese. Judith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources