Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open a help on something else than TOC

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2007 Apr 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I need to be able to open my Help on TOC, Index or Search depending on the cases of my application.
I try to find a way using URL. I assume that a parameter like "withnavpane" (that allow us to open or close the left panel) must existe to select the panel you want but I'm not able to find it yet.

So if you have any idea, everything is welcome as I did find anything in the code for the moment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lebenworld and welcome to our community

I believe I've documented how to accomplish this in my Skinny on Skins file. You may download it free of charge via my web site listed in the bullet points below my post.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response.
But I didn't found the information I need in your document.
It helped me a lot and I'm sur it will help me again and again.

I will try to be more precise.
In my application I'm actually calling the topic like that
http:\\MyPath\MyHelp_csh.htm#topicid="MyTopicId",withnavpane=true
that in order to prevent of the usage of the .h file for context help.
I foud a way of creating my own hash table so i'm sending the string instead of the topic Number. That allowes me to compile my application without depending on the help files.

That works great.

Now I need to be able to call taht help directly to the index panel or to the Search panel.

By default it's always the TOC excepte if you change it in the skin I think. But in my case I want a button "Help" that call the the help showing the TOC I want a button "Index" that will call the help showing the Index panel, and i want another button Search that will call the help showing (you guested well) the search panel

And I want to be able to do that with the same generated files if possible.

I actualy using RoboHelp 6.0. I started using that software like a month ago, so I may miss something easy also...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2007 Apr 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

So you got no ideas?
I'm a bit lost I'm working on that for more than 2 days now and I don't find any solutions.

I tried to creat a topic and with the command OnLoadWindows load the function showIndex() for exemple. It doesn't work... I can't say why.

So please I may be surching in the wrong direction... Any Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The help can only have one of the options and you can define that in the second page of the wizard.

I guess you could generate the help three different ways and link as required.

There may be a way to do what you want via the API but that's outside my territory. I seem to recall that in one application at a previous employer the developers had menu options to open the help in different ways.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but if you call your help file using the simple "#[path]/topic.htm" you can add ">>cmd=x", where X is
1 = toc
2 = index
3 = search
4 = glossary

there's a few other options for after the >> that I haven't explored yet, cap= will set the title bar caption... pan=, pot=, pbs= & pdb= -- i haven't tried out yet.... you can only use one of them --- see whstart.js, line 112.

i've yet to find a way to combine this functionality with index_csh.htm --- although it looks as though in cshdat_webhelp.htm, there's a function "RedirectTo" (line 122)... if you add in a line of code, strURL+=">>CMD=3" then it will load the search pane properly -- but for every call.

I imagine to integrate them together, you'd need to modify the hash string processor (currently it only looks for ,withnavpane=true and appends anything else into the window opens) -- to search for ">>" and tack anything after it on to the end of the gstrURL... gstrURL is passed to "RedirectTo".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this will work... but may crap you out if you use window options after the ,withnavpane=true.

In the RedirectTo function, add the following code to the first line:
if( gstrWindowOption.indexOf(">>") > -1 ) strUrl+=gstrWindowOption.substr(gstrWindowOption.indexOf(">>"));

When you are calling, add in ",>>CMD=X" -- to the very end of your URL.

e.g.
http:\\MyPath\MyHelp_csh.htm#topicid="MyTopicId",withnavpane=true,>>CMD=3
-- will load search pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2007 Jun 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help I am trying with out much luck to open a web page other than the contents page ie Index, Search etc, Have tried using ",>>CMD=3" at the end of the URL, although that does work there is no page displayed.

Have also tried modifying the RedirectTo Function in cshdat_robohelp.htm replacing if (gstrWindowOption.length != 0) with if( gstrWindowOption.indexOf(">>") > -1 ) strUrl+=gstrWindowOption.substr(gstrWindowOption.indexOf(">>")) but opening the page nothing happens.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this, oh yes am using RoboHelp X5.

Thanks in anticipation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2007 Apr 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you a lot, That look like what I need. I will test that now...

Cool

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2007 Apr 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Your second solution is working great, thank you.

I'm also intersted by the first solution but I'm not able to make it work...
Can you give me a complet path to have a idea.

I tried

http:\\MyPath\MyHelp_csh.htm#Cover.htm,>>CMD=3
But that is not working

I think this first solution will be good for me as I need to call TOC, Index or Search only with my Cover.htm topic.
Otherwise I need to call a specific topic only with the TOC...
And with that solution I don't have any file to modify after the generation.

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2007 May 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the "CSH" page is basically just a parser to grab any pertinent information about the page being called.... it then basically redirects the user to the correct path, using correct window options, etc. --- i'll call that "the call"

Unfortunately, the CSH page is not designed to accomadate >>CMD=x option.

So, if you just used MyHelp.htm#cover.htm>>CMD=3, you are basically doing a "direct call." It recognizes >>CMD and will show the search pane.

If you try the same thing with the myHelp_csh.htm -- the parser doesn't know how to recognize ">>CMD=3" and thus will not send it to "the call", and you will not load the Search pane.

To get it to work with myHelp_csh.htm, you will need to modify it to recognize >>CMD=3, and send that to "the call" to get the Search tab to display.... this is what I did in the message sent "04/26/2007 10:54:43 PM" -- modified the parser to detect ",>>" and tack it, and whatever follows, on to the end of "the call".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank's a lot, It's exactly What I need I didn't thought to call something without the _csh.htm file.

The direct call is perfect for me. I gave up last week after a week of research. I souldn't have...

Thank you again...

Benoit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, another note

- when calling "MyHelp.htm" -- tacking on ">>CMD=3" will load search pane.

- when calling my modified "MyHelp_csh.htm" -- it only recognizes ",>>CMD=3" (note the ,) -- why, i'm not entirely sure at the moment, it was all of 2 weeks ago when i wrote it, after all -- i'm sure there's a good reason for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the way the parsing is done when calling the _csh.htm file. It's not the same parsing when making a direct call.

But in my case modify some generated file is not possible due to my flow. So the direct call is really perfect.

I should have look at the MyProject.htm file before... :-))

Thank's

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2007 Jun 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can specify any one of those as the default tab when you generate the help.

Page 2 of the wizard, note the Set As Default button.

If you want to open the help to different tabs according to where you are calling from, that is a different scenario and I cannot help you on that one.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2007 Jun 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If I use the following C:\myHelp.htm#Home.htm>>CMD=3
The Help will be displayed with the Home Page and the Search Pane displayed, but this seems to only work with IE 7, with IE 6 nothing happens, does anyone know of a fix for IE 6 or is there some extra coding needed.

Can anyone help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp