• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete broken links referring to deleted topics?

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2014 Apr 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am updating a project in RoboHelp 10. During this process I have deleted some topics that were out of date. It seems that I did this the wrong way since I now have broken links that refers to these topics. (I’m quite sure they were used for context sensitive help.) They are of no use and I want to delete them but can’t figure out how.

Grateful for any input on this!

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Hello again

Okay, if you look at the first image I posted, the image of the Topic Refererences dialog, you should note that there are three different icons that represent the links.

Here, I'll post again so you can easily reference:

tmp1.png

The Book icon at the top would indicate there is a TOC entry pointing to a deleted topic. In that case, you would need to edit the TOC and clicking the Edit button would result in the TOC pod opening for you to locate the topic reference and remove it.

The second icon,

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In the Broken Links pod, right-click one of the links and choose "Show Topic References". This should open a dialog that will provide clues as to the type of link and where it exists.

tmp1.png

Click the item and click the Edit button and from there you are able to locate the link.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this but still don’t understand how to delete the link because it exists in a topic that is deleted (11 Lokal administration#11_2_1_Visa_anv_ndare).

I would like to use the delete-button in Topic References but it is inactive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason, the Delete button only seems to be enabled if the link occurs in the TOC.

Unfortunately it would appear you tried to include images but they aren't showing. I do see placeholder indications.

You are saying the links are actually in topics that were deleted? If so, perhaps you simply need to delete the .CPD file and let RoboHelp create a new one. So I'd try that first. I'd click Tools > Options and from the General section, enable the option to clear the CPD. Then close and re-open the project.

tmp1.png

If the broken links are still there after doing that, it means that you deleted topics. But instead of the topics you deleted having the links, there are links in other topics that are still part of the help system that point to the deleted topics. And in that case, you need to open that Topic References dialog again, click the links and click the Edit button. That should cause the topic with the link pointing to the deleted topic to be opened for editing. From there, you need to isolate the reference and clear the hyperlink.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately clearing the CPD didn’t do the trick.

So I opened the Topic References dialog and clicked the Edit button but no topic is opened. (I refer to the sentence “That should cause the topic … to be opened for editing. “).

What happens is that the dialog Index Keyword Topic Properties is opened. The Link to field says: “11_Lokal_administration.htm#11_2_2_Registrering_av”

“11_Lokal_administration” is an existing topic.

“11_2_2_Registrering_av” is one of the deleted topics.

I don’t understand how this dialog can help me getting rid of the broken links, since I can’t see any references to an undeleted topic. (Referring to “there are links in other topics that are still part of the help system that point to the deleted topics.”)

I have opened the topic “11_Lokal_administration” in design view and searched it manually. I can’t see any hyperlinks. I have looked at all the bookmarks (which I think the broken links were) and none of them are one of the broken links.

In the html-view I’ve used Find and searched for “11_2_2” with no luck.

Another input is that I have a hard time believing that there are links in an undeleted topic to the deleted topics. The deleted topics covered well-defined functions and it is unlikely they were referred to from some other topic, besides the topic that contains a table of contents. In the process of deleting the topics I removed the hyperlinks from the topic with table of contents. I have now opened also this topic in both design and html view to see if I could find any of the broken links, but I didn’t.

I’m starting to think that we will live with the broken links (there are only five of them). But if there is more suggestion of what I can do I would appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Okay, if you look at the first image I posted, the image of the Topic Refererences dialog, you should note that there are three different icons that represent the links.

Here, I'll post again so you can easily reference:

tmp1.png

The Book icon at the top would indicate there is a TOC entry pointing to a deleted topic. In that case, you would need to edit the TOC and clicking the Edit button would result in the TOC pod opening for you to locate the topic reference and remove it.

The second icon, (The Key icon) indicates an Index reference. And as you described, clicking the Edit button would result in the RoboHelp HTML Index pod opening. In the Index pod, you have one or more references to something that was deleted. I say "something" in this case because what you listed: “11_Lokal_administration.htm#11_2_2_Registrering_av” appears to be a link pointing to a Bookmark. named 11_2_2_Registrering_av.

Your goal with this is to locate the keyword in the Index that points to the link. Find and Replace isn't finding the item because it's in the Index file and not in a topic.,

As it may be a rather daunting task to find these references by using the Index pod (if you have thousands of index entries) you may want to close the project, then open the ProjectName.HHK file in your project location. This should be a text file that you could open with Windows Notepad. You could then perform a find to locate any references to the topic. You could carefully edit that file or you could simply note the keywords pointing to the topic. Then open RoboHelp again to either edit the Index and remove the broken links or note the entries are now gone as well as the Broken links. Note, however, that if you edited the file outside of RoboHelp, you may need to again delete the CPD in order to restore parity with the other files.

As you have seen, finding and fixing broken links isn't always a simple matter.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2014 Apr 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!

Deleting code for just one link in the .HKK-file did the trick.

But I do feel a bit uneasy when I only deleted code for one broken link and  all of the broken linkes disappeared although the other ones are present in the .HKK-file!? I have generated and published the project and checked in the browser that the TOC still works well. I have also closed and opened RoboHelp again to check that the other Broken Links don’t pop-up again. Nevertheless, I will probably delete all Broken Links from the .HKK-file since they are obsolete.

It was my intention to mention that I had the Key icon but it slipped my mind, sorry.

Thanks again!

/Catarina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp