• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lock down information

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2007 Sep 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to lock down topic information so that an end-user cannot highlight and copy info into an email or other program? If so, would that also prevent someone from right-clicking and selecting view source? I would want both.

Is this an option in RH 6? Or would I need a script?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 09, 2007 Sep 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can see it on my monitor, I can copy it and use it even if you try using a script to stop me.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2007 Sep 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why waste time copying it? A camera is so much easier.

We're not trying to ridicule you. The point here is this question has come up before and the point made that if someone really wants to copy it, they will, somehow.

Why the need for such secrecy?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 10, 2007 Sep 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter -

"Copy" as a generic term, not necessarily a literal one.

Camera is last resort (OCR software is a great tool).

Cache files are wonderfull...

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree with what you're saying. My project management team has requested this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make the point to them that there is no 100% secure solution. You can make it difficult but it is a bit like CKs. You can introduce all sorts of things to make copying difficult but ultimately it is only made difficult for genuine customers. The hackers will get the CD by some means. Same logic here.

As Linux Rules said, if they can see it, they can copy it, somehow.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I will definitely make that point to the project management team. So is there a setting in RH 6 or do I need a script? If a script is needed, what file should it be placed in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: V Jordan
Yes, I will definitely make that point to the project management team. So is there a setting in RH 6 or do I need a script? If a script is needed, what file should it be placed in?

Hello V Jordan -

Just do a Google search for the following terms:

javascript disable right click

...and you will get around 2 million hits. Try these links:

http://www.hypergurl.com/norightclick.html
http://javascript.internet.com/page-details/disable-images-click.html
http://javascript.about.com/library/blnoright.htm
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/dont-disable-right-click

BTW, these "solutions" are or able to slow someone down, not stop them. Your managers are trying to fight a loosing battle. You will need to protect every topic html file.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is a script or tag that hides html source code from a Web browser's View Source command. Also, I think you can thwart the browser's Save As . . . function. However, your developers will have to do the work. There is no setting in RH.

I'm not sure about copy-paste. I can't remember a time I was unable to copy text from a Web page and paste it as plain text somewhere. But if the Web security people have come up with something, again, alas, RH can't do the developers' work for them.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Gary,

Yes, I have found some things in cache that were't easy to get from the browser.

By now, someone must have devised a no-cache routine.

Probably you can't prevent a screen snapshot.
You might be able to thwart OCR recognition by using ransom note layout techniques.

And there's that new authentication technique, where you are asked to type a specific alphanumeric code from a squiggly graphic.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp