• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing PSD files create a black line to the right of some images

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2014 Apr 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing PSD files into Framemaker 11 and they keep giving me a vertical line on the right side of some images. I already know that other image file formats don't cause this, but I prefer the practicality of PSD files and not having to deal with duplicate files of the same image. I figured that native Adobe files that are supposed to be cross platform compatible should work without any issues. I get lines when converting to PDF documents and when I print them out also. I’m getting ready to publish our catalog and would like to prevent the printer from cleaning them up again.  Does anyone know how to fix it or if Adobe is currently addressing this issue ? Who can I contact to let them know about the issue, since it has been around from the time Frame started accepting PSD files?

Thanks,

Tomas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seeing this in Frame while editting, or just in the PDF output?

If just in the PDF output, I'm not sure it's a Framemaker bug. It may be an Acrobat rendering bug. There are several threads on the forum about it.

In any case, the triggering factor seems to be that it affects only raster images, or composite images with raster content, but only if one or more entire raster rows(lines) have an odd visible pixel count. "Visible" means that the image may well have been deliberately set to an even horizontal pixel count, put what's in the final PDF may be odd due to clipping by frames, paths or masking overlay objects (possibly even text).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens on the PDF output and when I send it to print on my printer. A thread I read also points to only Frame having this problem and not on InDesing, hence my suggestion as a Frame issue.

I understand what you mean by the overlay of frames and text frames since that's what I thought at first, but I notice that a lot of these images fit within their frames without any clipping and there are no text frames present.

I may have to go throught the catalog and look at the similarities and figure it out. Ultimately this seems to be an issue that should be fixed, even if the frame overlaps were to be the problem.

Thanks for your prompt reply,

Tomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomas,

As a temporary workaround, just set the Anchored Frames to be a few points smaller than the PSD image and turn on the Crop option.

AFAIK, the PSD import filter hasn't been touched in several releases.

Please file a bug report via: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=63

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why I didn't think of that. Maybe because I have some anchor frames that have multiple images and so I would have to separate them into their own frames in order to fix them. Nevertheless, it’s a great suggestion and would do the job as a workaround. I also submitted a bug report as you suggested.

Thank you,

Tomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomas,

With the multiple images within an Anchored Frame, you can also place the individual images in a Graphic frame (this will also clip the image) and then have these Graphic frame within the Aframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> AFAIK, the PSD import filter hasn't been touched in several releases.

And for anyone with an interest in this artifact, it's not just a PSD import problem. We see it commonly with TIFs and EPS rasters as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works perfectly. I little inconvenient, but it does the job.

Thank you greatly,

Tomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ais007,

This is gonna sound really crazy, but this happened to me a couple of years ago. Below is the answer....hope it helps for you!

Found the answer to this in the framers digest mailout (framers Digest, Vol 71, Issue 9). Hopefully it wll help you too.

I am not sure about the Illustrator files, but for Photoshop, resize your images so that the last number is an even number. (example: change 3.25 to 3.24)

This worked for me! I couldn't believe it!

If you don't receive these emails, below is the link to subscribe...they are really helpful. I hope that is the correct link, it has been a while since I signed up.

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/listinfo/framers

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3945090#3945090

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! I guess Frame doens't like odd numbers. This may be the easiest way to deal with the issue for now.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it very much.

Tomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh good!!! We had run into this a long time ago....kindof funny, but as long as it works!!!

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI – Error7103 mentioned this bug in post #1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> FYI – Error7103 mentioned this bug in post #1

And I don't think "odd pixel count on raster line or subset thereof" fully characterises this defect.

I made an attempt to deliberately induce it with some test images last week, and of course, no artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I read throught the posts, but didn't see it.

This fix is the only thing that helped me. Truthfully I didn't understand what you said in your first post. Sorry, but it seems that Thomas didn't either. Just two ways of saying things....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines