• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 9: What exe files are supposed to be in the CFIDE folder?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My server was recently hacked and I'm looking for malicious code the hacker may have left behind.  I see a number of exe files in the CFIDE folder that were created during the period the server was exposed.  Can you help me know which ones I should quarantine by giving me a list of the one that are supposed to be in that folder?  I'm using ColdFusion 9.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have any EXE or DLL files in my CF9 CFIDE folders. HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl, thanks for the quick feedback.  My virus scanner was in the process of scanning the whole server, and had not got to these files yet.  Once I got your response, I renamed the files removing the exe extension.  When my virus scanner finally got to them, it confirmed that they were all malicious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Format and start again is my advice. The malware could write all over the file system. We had a WordPress install hacked that did this and it put files all over, and not just in CFIDE. Unless you wipe and reinstall you'll be forever worrying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tribule wrote:

Format and start again is my advice.

Sound advice. However, by 'format' I take it you mean reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. I mean format the disk and reinstall everything.

If you just reinstall Windows, say, it will not always remove any malicious files that are already there and which are not part of the OS (unless you do a low-level fdisk etc). Malware can write all manner of strange files and files with strange permissions to the disk. If you are running a server that is running critical processes, e.g. e-commerce or customer data, then a format and reinstall is what I would personally recommend. It's a bummer, but at least then you know you started clean. Malware doesn't just infect CFIDE, it will drop DLLs/EXEs etc all over.

Also, never install something like WordPress (PHP) on the same CF server. WordPress is always being patched and it is a common entrance vector for malware. Keep all such things off-site is very advisable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on ColdFusion 10. I, too, could find no EXEs or DLLs in my CFIDE folder. You seem to have been the victim of the m32.exe and m64.exe exploits discussed here some weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CFIDE folder doesn't contains any exe files. you should quarantine all. I would suggest using http://hackmycf.com/ to scan your server. In case you find any vulnerability, please report it to

Adobe Product Security Incident Response Team (psirt@adobe.com) immediatly.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFBarbarian wrote:

ColdFusion 9: What exe files are supposed to be in the CFIDE folder? 

... Can you help me know which ones I should quarantine by giving me a list of the one that are supposed to be in that folder? 

Just a remark for anyone else in a similar situation. The CFIDE folder is exposed to the web, by design. Therefore bells should ring if you see any EXE, DLL or OCX files in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation