Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac's specifications is as follows:

Version = 10.5 Leopard

Processor = Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5

Memory = 3 GB DDR SDRAM

Startup Disk = Macintosh HD

I have tried installing the following versions of Flash Player for Leopard, however all of them say they do not support PowerPC Processors:

Are there any other versions I can install? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player 10.3.183.90 is the last version that will run on a PPC Mac.

Inside that zip file are a few folders. One is named "10_3_r183_90".

Inside that folder is a flashplayer_10_3r183_90_mac_intel.dmg

01.jpg

Even though it says "intel", it's the Universal Binary (runs on both PPC and Intel Macs)

Double click that and it will mount on your desktop, and open a window with the installer.

1.jpg

Right click the installer and choose "Show Package Contents"

2.jpg

Go to: Contents/Resources and double click the Adobe Flash Player.pkg file

3.jpg

The COCOA installer will open, ask for your Admin password, and it will install.

Trouble is: Flash Player 11.2 is the current "end of support" version, which means anything lower (like 10.3 for PPC Macs) won't work on just about any site with Flash content. That will soon be updated to 11.7 which will place PPC Macs even further behind the minimum.

Since PowerPC architecture isn't supported anywhere, even Apple, anymore, there will be no further development of any software for these Macs, and as the ten year mark approaches on the end of PPC development, they will eventually be removed altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, however the installer at the end gave me a failure message saying that the step "run postflight script for plugin" failed. You can also view the error below:

Picture 9.png

Is there anything else I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When's the last time you repaired permissions on your Mac HD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll see if any permissions need to be repaired then try to install Flash Player again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the permissions are damaged. When I used repair permissions, all of the damaged permissions had the following text in front of it, "Warning SUID file has been modified and will not be repaired" I have the latest version of Leopard. Do I need to reinstall it? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating another user account (Admin) and try the installer under that account.

If it works, post back here and I have a possible solution for your user account.

If it doesn't, it's probably OS problems and a fresh install might be necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the test account, when I tried to install Flash Player it gave the same error message as last time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one of the times it's GOOD to have an older OS. I have a new Mini and Mavericks, and I can't do this anymore.

Download AppleJack: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15667/applejack

AppleJack is a user friendly troubleshooting assistant for Mac OS X. With AppleJack you can troubleshoot a computer even if you can't load the GUI, or don't have a startup CD handy. AppleJack runs in Single User Mode and is menu-based for ease of use.

screen shot of AppleJack running in single user mode

Using AppleJack, you can repair your disk, repair permissions, validate the system's preference files, and get rid of possibly corrupted cache files. In most cases, these operations can help get your machine back on track. The important thing is that you don't need another startup disk with you.

All you need to do is restart in Single User Mode (SUM), by holding down the command and s keys at startup, and then typing applejack, or applejack auto (which will run through all the tasks automatically), or applejack auto restart (which will also restart the computer automatically at the end of the process).

I used to just run applejack auto restart and let it do it's thing. Stuff ran much smoother afterward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I can't do that. When I tried to boot into SUM mode, the mac doesn't recognise the display. In fact, this mac gets black screens out of no where. Only solvable by unplugging everything, replugging everything, then powering on the mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a 2nd gen iMac G5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st gen Power Mac G5. The iFixit link is here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Egad!!! Even worse... I had a 1st gen 21", but it was the 1.8gHz, and it did the same thing (are you sitting down?) right before the processor literally "baked". I had about three weeks of intermittent shut downs, just like you describe, before one afternoon when I went to pick up my daughter from school. When I got home the entire 2nd floor of the house was filled with grey smoke and it smelled of asbestos. The back of the iMac was melted, warped and blackened right over the G5. When I took it apart, the processor was charred. That was October 2008. I got it in June 2005.

Frankly, I don't see a bright, or extended, future for this iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's not shutting down. It's on, the screen is just black. I know it's on because it responds to all commands on the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's got video problems, then. Does it have a discreet GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. I found out how. The GPU is ATI Radeon 9650.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is discrete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to look into a replacement for that video card, I'm pretty sure.

That doesn't have any affect on the "postflight" error though. That's purely OS related.

Meanwhile, Download Pacifist: http://www.charlessoft.com/pacifist_olderversions.html

This is a last resort to get Flash Player installed.

It'll allow you to "dig into" the installer package and you can extract the plug-in files as well as suport files.

You can manually copy them to the appropriate foldes and things should work.

pac.jpg

The files from Internet Plug-ins folder go to Mac HD/Library/Internet Plug-ins.

The prefPane goes to [user]/Library/Preference Panes.

You just need to double click the "Flash Player.plugin.lzma" to unpack it, and you should be installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got to the last step. When double clicking Flash Player.plugin.Izma, I get the following message: "There is no default application set to open the document 'Flash Player.plugin.Izma'" Is this why Flash Player couldn't install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines