• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eps import undefined error

Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a simple traced Illustrator file of a logo. Copied and pasted into InDesign only to receive this message: eps import undefined error.

Tried deleting preferences. Checked the clipboard preferences in both applications and everything is standard.

This is CS6. Is this a bug? What is the fix? - Can't be saving & placing, in this case, due to the nature in which I need to work with & edit vector files.

Any more info about this issue?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

I had the same issue for a lot of time!

BUT I think I got it and never received again the same message. Here is what you can try:

IMPORTANT! When tracing a picture in illustrator there a lot of ghost paths. That's why you get the error message.

1) After tracing, check and delete all ghost paths (I suggest you to move the whole art in the gray background so it's easiest to see where there are paths or gaps.*

2) When you are done with these paths, select all artwork and go to Object>Expand.

Now you a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a recommended workflow to copy and paste from Illustrator to InDesign - simple shapes and objects can be and there's nothing wrong with doing it - I just don't recommend doing it.

Save the file to a .ai with a PDF compatible file and use File>Place in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course if you need to edit the shape in InDesign this doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, it's to do with the nature in which I need to edit the files + set up for press, so I must be able to paste that vector graphic directly into InDesign.

Any more suggestions and if there is a bug with InDesign? Placing isn't the solution; not just for myself, but for many out there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you paste vectors from Illustrator you get editable shapes up to the threshold at which the drawing is too complex, at which point you get a PDF. I'm not sure what happens with .eps, but I suspect your drawing is just too complext to paste all at once.

I've gotten past the complexity limitiations in the past, just to demonstrate that it could be done, by copying the drawing in chunks, pasting, and reassembling in ID. I also don't recommend a copy/paste workflow. A really complex vector can cause significant slowdowns in ID, as can lots of less complex drawings. We had a case here a year or two ago where all of the illustrations in a book had been pasted in as vector objects. It took over an hour for me to open the file here before I could even look at it. I've also found that every time I've used locally editied vectors in ID I've regretted it later because I end up wanting to reuse the assets in other work, and a placed Illustrator file suddenly becomes much easier to maintain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some illustrator graphics are too complex to copy and paste to InDesign. InDesign has some vector capabilities, but it is not a program for editing complex vectors, InDesign is a page layout tool and it's best used for that.

I still recommend that you place a link rather than copy and paste. You can always open illustrator again to make edits.

I'm sorry I don't have a better solution, nor have I heard of a better solution to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just worked around the issue by rasterising the image in illustrator at the size I need, then copying and pasting into indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copy/paste raster data is not a good workflow. All you get is the RGB screen preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forums is close to dead, but sense I found a solution that worked for me and wasn't on here I guess it wouldn't hurt to help. When i saved the illstrator file as an .ai than copy and paste it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is too simple .. are you select logo or any design, go to object menu and click Flatten Transparency

and try copy and past

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been getting the same error all day today.  I believe this is a bug.  What I'm trying to copy and paste into indesign is not complex at all.  Furthermore, I've been copy/pasting extremely complex vector art from AI to ID for a decade and have never seen this error before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ILLUSTRATOR do this:

Select the vector that won't paste

Go to OBJECT -> Flatten transparancy

This solved the same issue for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue for a lot of time!

BUT I think I got it and never received again the same message. Here is what you can try:

IMPORTANT! When tracing a picture in illustrator there a lot of ghost paths. That's why you get the error message.

1) After tracing, check and delete all ghost paths (I suggest you to move the whole art in the gray background so it's easiest to see where there are paths or gaps.*

2) When you are done with these paths, select all artwork and go to Object>Expand.

Now you are able to copy and paste it into InDesign without error message.

* In some cases you have to UNITE your paths from Pathfinder Panel.

The above process is 100% successful. If you keep receiving the same error, you have missed something.

I hope to help you all as I know how annoying is this message.

ArtWorks Graphics (Behance)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1- Save the vector as EPS format from Adobe Illustrator and close the file

2- Reopen the saved EPS file in Adobe Illustrator

3- Now can copy the vector from Adobe Illustrator to Adobe In design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines