Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MSHelp for Telnet, etc.

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2007 Jun 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

New Robohelp user here. Trying to start creating new help files. I don't understand from the descriptions of Formats which one I use to create Help available when a user uses the Help function in a Windows app. In particular, I want to write Help files for Telnet sessions.

Thanks much.

Bruce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You and the developers need to determine how the application's help will be delivered at each customer site. If the help will be available on each user's local machine, provide a .chm file output (HTML Help). If the help will be available on a company server, provide WebHelp (browser-based help). The other outputs should only be used for special needs.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leon for your quick reply. Can you point me to documentation on using this HTML file as Help within the Telnet session? Such as a switch in the command line for telnet?

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 11, 2007 Jun 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I have no idea what "a Telnet session" is.

Whatever is done to open the help for the user is done by your developers/programmers/engineers. There's plenty of info on that process, if they need it, in the RH Help itself (HINT: the "Context-sensitive Help" section).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you begin, you will need to check with the developers to determine if the telnet sessions can send commands from the emulator to Windows. If I remember correctly, use of the ? would pull up contect sensitive help from within Telnet itself. If there is a way to issue Windows commands from within the telnet session, then there should be a way to use Robohelp.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brian. I'm using a Telnet window for a mainframe app. So I can't create context sensitive help.

I just want to create a Help file that a user can see from the Telnet window Help menu item. Like from the Alt-H or F1 command. Not context sensitive Help within the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2007 Jun 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know a great deal about Telnet. Is it possible for your developers to assign an RCP command to a function key that will point to the remote help file?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean Remote Copy? How would you use that?

Asking my original question another way, how would you replace the IE Help window with your own Help file? is there a switch in the command line , a registry hack, or some other method?

Thanks again, Brian.

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi brucebrod

how would you replace the IE Help window with your own Help file?

I'm not sure how Microsoft would feel about this, but certainly one way would be to just create a .CHM file named iexplore.chm and replace the one you find in the C:\Windows\Help folder.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait! I use the HTML Help format? Is that the answer?

(Told you I was new.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait! I use the HTML Help format? Is that the answer?

(Told you I was new.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp