Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

chm to chm link checking

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2007 Jun 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp HTML 2002.
We have a project with external links to another project.
RH doesn't seem to be able to check for broken links.

Is there any tool that can check for broken links from one chm to another?
I've only seen Xenu, which does not work on chms.
Please let me know.
Thanks.
JoeC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2007 Jun 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem you may have is the external nature of the links. Each CHM will have no idea of where the link actually is. You may be able to use CHM">http://www.helpware.net/FAR/index.html CHM Link Checker or [L=FAR by pointing at the source files rather than the CHM but I suspect there is no easy way to do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 12, 2007 Jun 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the source files for both projects, you could:

1. Copy both to another directory.
2. Change the default layout to WebHelp.
3. Create a temporary merged project (one as parent, the other as child).
4. Generate both projects into WebHelp.
5. Run Zenu against index.htm (or whatever start page you set).

Zenu's what I use to check links in a 42-project merged WebHelp project, and it works great.

HINT: If you have topics that were imported from Word files that still had tracking turned on, you'll have a lot of broken-link references to editdata.mso and oledata.mso. You can ignore them.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2007 Jun 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon
I have RoboHelpHTML 2002.
Plain vanilla webhelp, not WebHelp enterprise or any advanced version of webhelp.

When I try to merge the projects, I only have the ability to select a .chm file, not a project.
I tried following Peter Grainge's instructions, then got to a point where he said to click this symbol that looked like a G in the TOC, which I don't have. I only have that G image appear after I merge a project's hhc file.

Bottom line - Your solution doesn't seem to work for my version of RH/WebHelp. I appreciate your response.

If I'm missing something, please let me know. I'm going to take a crack at the FAR site suggested by Colum, but unfortunately, it's probably going to have to come down to tediously opening 90 topics one by one and checking links one by one.
There has to be a better way to spend my time.....
Thanks.
JoeC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merged WebHelp is not an option with RH 2002. The webmerge module was introduced in Version X3. Prior to that, WebHelp Pro was the only way to merge help. That is why you don't see the image.

In your first post you asked about broken link checking between CHMs. In your last post you are talking about webhelp. Which is it?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
Merged WebHelp is not an option with RH 2002. The webmerge module was introduced in Version X3. Prior to that, WebHelp Pro was the only way to merge help. That is why you don't see the image.

In your first post you asked about broken link checking between CHMs. In your last post you are talking about webhelp. Which is it?

Hi Peter
My issue does involve checking chm-to-chm links. Leon suggested I try converting both projects to webhelp, merging them, and using Xenu to check the links. Which is why I was using webhelp. But because of my version of RH, I am unable to merge webhelp projects, which is why I tried the info on your site.
for the record, I did use the chm checker on helpware.net and that was able to check chm to chm, but many of the checks were false incorrects because of the Related Topics button links. Still, it saved me time, and I think was accurate enough for my purposes.

So thanks to Colum for that tip.
JoeC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp