• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does the newest RH have the output-to-Word index bug?

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2007 Jun 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before wasting any more time trying to get the 12 pages of index to match the 450plus-page document, or learning to, in a few days, how to manually index a large Word doc, does the new releases of RH index outputs PROPERLY? Just upgrading may be the simplest thing (here in the Corporate world) than figuring it out on my own.

Please let me know ASAP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 12, 2007 Jun 12, 2007
First I want to thank Peter Grange for taking the time to assist. Even on the weekend! Thanks again Peter!

Problem solved - yes Harvey, I even took my level 4 headings to level 2. This helped, but not completely; that's not the solution. Here's what I did.

I bailed out of RoboHelp. (!)
I just could not make it make sense and then started studying more on Word's index, and the information available online.
For example, Towson University has a great PDF on Concordance Files in Word.

Procedure...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A link to your recent problem would have helped.

Looking at that, I cannot say as it is something that needs to be tested. Can you create a small project and generate a printed output that exhibits this problem?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on it now - Arc Sine now shows up in index at 318, 330 but is actually at 321, and 335.

What output would help - the word doc, a screen cap or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I want is for you to create a RH project and generate a printed output where the index is coming out in the way you do not want.

I will simply open that in RH6 and generate a new printed output.

You send me the whole project zipped and I will send you back the document created.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent to the "01" address. Thank you for your assistance. I included the .doc so you can see the output I have here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 11, 2007 Jun 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you starting each topic on a new page? If not, have you tried it?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2007 Jun 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I want to thank Peter Grange for taking the time to assist. Even on the weekend! Thanks again Peter!

Problem solved - yes Harvey, I even took my level 4 headings to level 2. This helped, but not completely; that's not the solution. Here's what I did.

I bailed out of RoboHelp. (!)
I just could not make it make sense and then started studying more on Word's index, and the information available online.
For example, Towson University has a great PDF on Concordance Files in Word.

Procedure to get a workable index in Word:

1. Use RH to generate an index. Edit and manipulate as needed
2. Output entire job in to Word.
3. Review and confirm Word document.
4. Took the Word index, copied to new file, stripped out the page numbers and made a 2 column table of it.
5. Copied column 1 to column 2 (second colum can be used to change actual index text display).
6. Created a concordance with that data, that will later be entered into Word's "Index, AutoMark" as a file.
7. Closed Word - no need to save document.
8. Went back to RH and reloaded the Job.
9. Completely delete all index entries and save this way (no index).
10. Again output this job to Word.
11. Open document in Word.
12. Now do my usual RH induced need-to-repaginate (because of image bug) and add necessary page breaks.
13. Go to Word's Index feature and enter concordance file, and place index where desired.
14. Add header that says "Index:" ( or whatever you want to heading the Index with.)
15. Repaginate TOC and Index and "Whallah"! All page numbers now match the TOC and Index.

Plus now the index is keyed to the PAGE not the TOPIC!

MRK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link to the Towson University PDF.

http://tinyurl.com/25e4oy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, that is the URL - I wasn't sure if it was OK to post it.
I apologise if my reply is lacking in detail -
I had to have this document TODAY for a major training meeting, that was YESTERDAY (as well as this morning, too - they didn't want preliminary copies.)

Other than fighting Word to get the headers and footers correct (I prefer a horizontal line and the company name as well as the page number at the bottom) at the last minute, the PDF of the Word doc was created only a few minutes after I promised it to them (10:00am) this morning.

Wow - can I start breathing again? :)

MRK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp