Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only plug-in version autoupdating

Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flash Player automatic updater always updates only the plug-in version for me. My default browser is Opera 12.16 32-bit which uses the plug-in. I'd like to know if this behavior is by design or if I'm affected by some sort of a bug/anomaly. I have Internet Explorer 11 installed and working normally, and ActiveX Flash Player installed and working normally, it just never autoupdates. My OS is Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It updates for the default browser. In my case that's Firefox but just the same, it only updates that plug-in. I MUST update the ActiveX manually: Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. Must be by design then. I just found it a bit funny updating v.12->13:

1) updater launches default browser (Opera) taking me to DL page

2) plug-in version gets downloaded and installed

3) installer launches IE to thank me although nothing was installed for IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My Mac test machine does the same thing. Takes me to the download with Firefox, and once I finish, it opens Safari to show it was completed. Mac only has one plug-in, but it's the same principle. The GUI installer uses the OS's browser as default at the end, but YOUR default at the beginning.  No rhyme or reason for that.

It's yet another reason I don't use the GUI installers unless I'm testing something requiring it:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Those links remain the same even when the version is updated. Bookmark them. Whenever you see an update notification, just use the links, and run thew offline installers. It takes about ten seconds longer, but you have control over the download, and (here's the bonus) those links DON'T contain any "bundled" junk like McAfee or Google toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines