Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Framemaker Book to a PDf

Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to save a book in Framemaker to a PDF file using "Save book As". The process runs to a point and then stops and gives me an error message. The message says "When you create a PostScript file you must rely on system fonts and use document fonts. Please go to the printer properties, "Adobe PDF settings" page and turn OFF the option "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts." I have tried this a million time with all sorts of variations and I cannot get the tool too create the pdf. I am using Windows 7 and Frame 7.2. I was running Windows XP up until 3 months ago and never had a prioblem. Now I cannot make any PDF files from Framemaker using the "Save book as" feature. Anybody have any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM7.2 on a Win7 machine – wow!

Anyway, can you create a PDF by printing to the AdobePDF printer instance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that works. But through our configuration control I need to have the bookmarks and all references associated with the book. If I use Adobe PDF printer it makes the file but none of the bookmarks come with the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought you were able to control that part by using the “Generate Acrobat Data” setting when printing to PDF. I know it works in FM9+ but it may not be there in 7.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see that feature in 7.2. Is “Generate Acrobat Data” the same as “Save Book as” ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t think so – it’s in File > Print in my current version (FM11). Is the Adobe PDF printer set as your default printer in FM? Use the SetPrint plugin to ensure it uses it within FM without messing with your Windows default outside of FM at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No for the Adobe PDF. Setprint plugin? Not in my version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it will work from FM6+ - I know it does in my version fine – check it out - http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Windows 7 and Frame 7.2.

This is not a supported configuration and probably does not work, due (I'm guessing) to driver API changes from XP to Win7, which would affect generating PDF and Ps output. This would affect Save-as-PDF and Print-to-Ps+Distill (unless you have a newer version of the full Acrobat product).

As it happens, I'm going to attempt something similar: FM 7.0 on Win7 64 Pro. However, I'm going to install that old FM in "XP Mode".

XP Mode is a 32-bit virtual machine running actual Windows XP inside Win7. It is (now maybe "was") available for Windows 7 Enterprise, Professional and Ultimate (but not Basic, Home or not-so-Premium). When XP went off support life earlier this month, Mr.Bill may have taken down the ability  to download XP Mode (or not, since some large enterprises are able to  purchase continued support for XP at some great cost). XP Mode never was supported for Win8. There are other VMs for Windows available.

If XP Mode is still available, you also need a CPU that has hardware virtualization, which all recent 64-bit AMD processors do, but which is fused-off in many low end 64-bit Intel processors. AMD processors need a separate unobvious hot-fix patch installed before you do anything else about XP Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have acrobat X pro. I tried running frame in the Compatibility mode for XP but I still get the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I have acrobat X pro.

You might try printing to a PostScript file, then Distilling that.

> I tried running frame in the Compatibility mode for XP but I still get the same error.

"Compatibility mode" and "XP mode" are two completely different things.

CM is standard on Win7 (probably all editions). CM is just some app settings.

XPM is a massive optional download for only some versions of Win7. It's also an older version of XP, which needs Windows Update run on it, which ends up downloading and installing some 200 updates, in multiple passes, as updates beget updates. If you had installed XPM, you'd remember it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try addressing the original problem first and do what the prompt says:

PDF_rely_on_system_fonts.png

Also, for FM7.2, do not use the "Save Book As", select all of the files in the book panel, and then use the Print option with the "Generate Acrobat Data" and print to file settings enabled:

FM_print_to_file.png

Once the postscript file has been created, manually run Distiller using the appropriate joboptions file. Printing directly to PDF in the older versions of FM had issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Printing directly to PDF in the older versions of FM had issues."

Arnis, did you mean to say "saving as PDF," rather than "printing?" I

recall that Save as PDF was the buggy option we always told everyone to

avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

I did also mean printing directly to the PDF printer instance to create the PDF without doing the mor reliable postscript + Distiller two-step (the SaveAsPDF route had many more issues though). There were variables from the Acrobat installations (Adobe changed some default locations, as well as the printer instance name, with the Acrobat versions around the FM7 period) that were quite installation dependent. Some users were lucky, others lived in purgatory...

It still hadn't sunk in to many users that the Adobe printer instance had to be set and used as the default, and the SaveAs routines didn't always switch to the correct printer instance (IIRC, they just checked for a postscript instance and if it wasn't the default, grabbed the first one they found in the installed printers list.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Arnis, I understand now, and of course you are right. I overlooked that

he has Acrobat XI. If I recall correctly, FrameMaker 7.2's Save as PDF

feature is still looking for the old "Acrobat Distiller" virtual printer

from early versions of Acrobat, rather than the "Adobe PDF" virtual

printer of later Acrobat versions. So Save as PDF can't work for him

with his current FM/Acrobat mix.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. “Save Book as” pdf. I need this because of the configuration requirements to have all section numbering and table and figure identified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn’t work. Something is going on here and its not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines