Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

can I edit a doc in pdf that was created in lifecycle

Level 1

I am responsible for making documents 508 compliant.  I received a document from a user that was created in lifecycle.  The doc was saved as a static pdf.  I was able to run the full check accessibility checker in adobe.  It gives me an accessibility error saying no language has been set of this doc.  When I tried to correct this in properties I am not allowed. I also cannot reorder the reading order.  I have done a littel research and it looks like you CANNOT edit a document in adobe pro, it can only be edited in lifecycle.  I need someone to confirm this is true.

Also if anyone knows if lifecycle has an accessibility checker similar to the one in adobe please let me know, I have looked everywhere in lifecycle and don't see anything like what I use on the pdf side.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies

Level 8

If this is an XDP form note that with ES4 SP1 Designer there is a compliancy checker available and is found in the Tools>Macro menu

Level 10

Good point.

This macro only is present in the english version of Designer I believe.

Level 1

Thanks, based on your info I have found that  the ES2 version I have came with my adobe pro x 9 install.  I have since upgraded to pro x 10 but it's still lifecycle es2.  ES4 has to be bought as a separate product, also when you upgrade to adobe pro 11 lifecycle goes away so you MUST buy ES4 for $299 per user.

I have also figured out that a document created with any version of lifecycle CANNOT be edited on the PDF side of the house. 

So the document I'm working with (it was created with lifecycle es2) cannot be made 508 compliant.  This is due to the accessibility error I'm receiving that I cannot fix.  Also I cannot correct the document reading order.  In other words I can't do anything to this document in PDF which is the only place I have to do the accessibility check.

If my customer wants to use lifecycle in the future they will have to buy ES4, then I can do the accessibility check on that side of the house.

Thanks all.

Level 4

Or you can get the ES4 free ig you upgrade.  http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-livecycle-designer-acrobat-xi.html

Not sure if you fit the qualifications but thought I would pass this along