• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Physical location of hyperlinked files when generating printed documentation from webhelp project

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I produce webhelp and the customers have requested that printed documentation is also generated from my help project so that they can have an electronic/paper version.

I have several hyperlinks in the help project, to PDF/Word files, and have found that in the printed documentation, when you click on the hyperlink, it is trying to find the document in the physical location from which the help project was created. This means that the hyperlinked documents only open on my PC because I own the physical location. Other users, particuarly our customers, end up with an error message because it is trying to find a location they do not have access to.

Does anybody know a solution to this please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem with links inside PDF / Word files is that you have no control over where the files reside. Therefore you can't specify a path that will work as it depends on the physical file's location. What you could do is publish the PDFs / Word files to an online location that are accessible by a URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp